Brooklyn Construction Accident Lawyer
Working in construction carries considerable risks. In fact, half of the nation’s deadliest jobs are construction-related. As a construction worker in Brooklyn, you put your safety and life on the line every day. When an accident happens, you deserve to be compensated for your resulting costs and suffering. That’s where the experienced Brooklyn construction accident lawyers at The Platta Law Firm can help.
As leaders in construction accident litigation in New York City with more than 150 years of combined experience, we’ve earned a reputation for helping injured laborers change their lives after devastating job site accidents.
Our award-winning trial attorneys have successfully obtained hundreds of millions in settlements and jury awards, including several million and multi-million dollar results for injured construction workers. Now we’re ready to help you fight for the maximum financial payout you deserve, too. Call our NYC law office to schedule a free consultation today.
The Platta Law Firm Can Help You Maximize Your Recovery After a Brooklyn, NY Construction Accident
Whether you’re filing a claim for workers’ compensation benefits or seeking damages in a lawsuit, working with an attorney is a smart choice. However, if you want to make the most of your fight for compensation, you’ll want our Brooklyn personal injury lawyers in your corner.
We’re award-winning trial attorneys who have quite literally helped to shape construction law in New York State. When you choose us to represent you, you’ll benefit from the full force and resources of our law firm, which is what you’ll need to achieve top results. You’ll also work with compassionate, trustworthy legal advocates with a vested interest in your future. Count on us to:
- Handle all aspects of your construction accident claim, giving you the time you need to focus on getting better.
- Help you understand your legal options and put together a strategy to secure maximum compensation on your behalf.
- Thoroughly investigate the circumstances of your construction accident to determine exactly why and how it happened.
- Obtain construction plans, hiring and training policies, witness statements, equipment maintenance records, photographs of the scene, medical records, and other evidence.
- Determine if any state or federal construction laws or safety regulations were violated on your job site.
- Gather medical records, wage statements, and other documents to supplement a claim for workers’ compensation benefits.
- Bring in construction industry experts and specialists to consult as we calculate what your construction accident lawsuit might be worth.
- Represent you during all negotiations with insurance companies, your employer, and other parties.
- Have a successful trail attorney litigate your construction accident lawsuit at trial.
Now is the time to begin your fight for compensation. We work on a contingency fee basis, so there’s no need to worry about the cost of getting legal help. You’ll only pay if our construction accident attorneys in Brooklyn win your case.
Decades of Experience Advocating For Injured Workers in All Types of Construction Accident Cases in Brooklyn
No two construction accidents are the same. When an accident happens, there will be a need for an exhaustive investigation and critical analysis of what went wrong and why. As you pursue compensation, you’ll want to benefit from the experience and knowledge of an attorney that’s been handling all types of construction accident cases for years.
That’s why The Platta Law Firm should be your first call for help. Collectively, our top-rated personal injury attorneys have 150+ years of experience representing injured construction workers in cases involving:
- Scaffolding accidents
- Ladder accidents
- Falls from heights
- Roofing accidents
- Demolition accidents, excavation accidents, and trenching accidents
- Slip and fall accidents
- Crushed by object accidents
- Falling object accidents
- Caught in/between accidents
- Heavy machinery accidents
- Crane and hoist accidents
- Motor vehicle accidents
- Equipment failure accidents
Don’t underestimate the difference an experienced construction accident attorney can have as you pursue compensation. Call our law office serving all of NYC to discuss your case today.
Brooklyn, NY Construction Accident Statistics
Construction is booming in New York City, and Brooklyn is seeing the majority of new permit requests. As the construction industry thrives, construction-related injuries are on the rise, too. According to the New York City Department of Buildings, construction injuries increased by 9.7 percent between 2021 and 2022. Statistically speaking, Brooklyn is the second-most dangerous borough for construction workers.
How Do I Recover Compensation After a Brooklyn Construction Accident?
Construction workers who suffer injuries on Brooklyn job sites generally have two ways to potentially recover compensation. The first involves seeking benefits from an employer’s workers’ compensation insurance policy, while the second involves filing a lawsuit against a liable third party.
Workers’ Compensation Benefits
New York has strict rules about making sure that construction workers are covered by workers’ compensation. Workers’ comp is a no-fault system that helps injured workers get monetary benefits without the time and expense of filing a lawsuit. Limited benefits are available for:
- Medical treatment
- Lost wages
- Survivor benefits
State law provides that wage replacement benefits are generally the equivalent of two-thirds of a worker’s average weekly wage, prior to their injury.
Civil Lawsuit Damages
You generally waive the right to sue your employer when you recover workers’ compensation benefits. However, you can still file a lawsuit against a third party that contributed to your construction accident. Potentially liable parties might include engineers, architects, property owners, motorists, co-workers, and contractors. In a lawsuit, you can pursue both economic and non-economic awards for:
- Hospitalization, surgery, medication, prosthetics, and other current medical expenses
- Future medical bills
- Physical therapy
- Vocational rehabilitation
- Lost earnings
- Diminished earning capacity
- Personal care assistance
- Funeral expenses
- Chronic physical pain
- Scarring and disfigurement
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Post-traumatic stress disorder
- Loss of consortium
- Reduced quality of life
Punitive damages can also be sought if a construction accident lawsuit goes to trial in Brooklyn. In these situations, a jury can award punitive compensation if there’s compelling evidence of intentional misconduct or gross negligence.
Why Do Construction Accidents in Brooklyn Happen?
Construction accidents can be, for the most part, avoided. Unfortunately, despite incredibly strict safety regulations imposed at the local, state, and federal levels, they still happen.
The driving force behind most construction accidents in Brooklyn is negligence. Employers hire unqualified employees and fail to provide adequate training.
They cut corners to save time and money, which creates an incredibly dangerous work environment for laborers. Even minor mistakes and lapses of judgment can cause accidents on Brooklyn construction sites, and the results can be catastrophic. Some of the most common contributors to Brooklyn construction accidents include:
- Failing to provide adequate safety gear and fall protection devices to workers
- Failing to inspect worksites and equipment regularly
- Faulty equipment
- Improperly constructed scaffolding
- Trip hazards caused by debris and loose cables
- Missing guards on tools and work equipment
- Failing to mark construction and excavation site
- Failing to protect against falling objects
- Failing to train workers on dangerous equipment and in the use of hazardous materials
- Misuse of heavy machinery and construction vehicles
Our construction accident lawyers in Brooklyn will dig deep into the circumstances of your case and work to uncover precisely why and how the accident happened. Once we understand the cause, we can be better prepared to help you exhaust all of your legal options for a financial recovery.
What Are the Leading Causes of Construction Accident Fatalities?
Every year, hundreds of laborers in New York and across the country are killed in construction accidents. While any construction accident has the potential to be fatal, there are four primary causes of construction worker deaths. Dubbed the “Fatal Four” by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), the leading causes of fatal construction accidents include falls, crushed by object, caught in/between, and electrocution. Together, these four accidents account for more than half of all construction accident fatalities every year.
Brooklyn Construction Workers Can Suffer Catastrophic Injuries in Job Site Accidents
Whether you’re a pipefitter, an electrician, a roofer, or work in another specialty, you can suffer serious, potentially life-changing injuries in a construction accident. At The Platta Law Firm, we’re here to help you seek compensation for all of your construction-related injuries, including:
- Crushing injury
- Chest injury
- Nerve damage
- Brain injury
- Spinal cord injury
- Spinal fracture
- Herniated discs
- Back injury
- Broken bones
- Catastrophic injury
- Joint injury
- Soft tissue injury
- Wrongful death of a family member
Report your accident to your employer immediately. Seek prompt medical treatment at a local hospital in Brooklyn. Then call our New York construction accident lawyers at The Platta Law Firm for help pursuing the monetary award you need and deserve.
What’s the Deadline For Filing a Construction Accident Claim in New York?
It depends on how you decide to seek compensation.
- You’ll have two years from the date of your construction accident in Brooklyn to file a claim for workers’ compensation benefits.
- If you decide to file a lawsuit, state law gives you three years from the date of your construction site accident to take legal action.
- You’ll also have two years to pursue compensation through a wrongful death lawsuit if a loved one is killed in a fatal Brooklyn construction accident.
Don’t let too much time pass by before filing a claim. You’ll lose the right to demand financial accountability once the applicable statute of limitations expires.
Call Our Experienced Brooklyn Construction Accident Lawyers For Help Today
Were you recently injured in an accident on a construction site in Brooklyn, New York? If so, contact us for immediate legal assistance. You have rights, and our Brooklyn construction accident lawyers can help you pursue a legal claim to offset the costs of your medical bills, lost wages, and other damages. When you choose our NYC personal injury law firm, you put a trustworthy legal team with 150+ years of combined experience that’s won hundreds of millions in your corner. Schedule your free consultation by calling our NYC law office today.
Brooklyn Neighborhoods We Serve
Barren Island, Bergen Beach and Georgetown, Coney Island, Brighton Beach, West Brighton, Manhattan Beach, Sea Gate, Sheepshead Bay and Madison, Homecrest, Midwood, Flatlands, Gerritsen Beach, Gravesend, Marine Park, Mill Basin, and Plumb Beach.