NYC Truck Accident Lawyer
Have you suffered injuries in a truck accident in New York City? You may have the right to recover compensation for your medical treatment, lost wages and emotional distress. An experienced New York truck accident lawyer at The Platta Law Firm is here to help you fight for the full financial recovery you deserve.
Since 2007, we’ve been leaders in personal injury litigation in New York City.
Our award-winning New York trial attorneys have over 130 years of combined experience, and our ability to achieve top results speaks for itself. We’ve won tens of millions of dollars from insurance carriers, large corporations and trucking companies for our clients, who know they are in good hands.
Our client reviews and testimonials are outstanding; we suggest you read them before you call. Lawyers of Distinction, the American Institute of Personal Injury Lawyers and Super Lawyers recognize The Platta Law Firm’s team for their diligence, client focus and legal prowess.
We’ve obtained over $150 million in benefits, settlements and jury awards for deserving clients like you. Put yourself in the best position to win your truck accident case. Contact our NYC law office at (212) 514-5100 to schedule a free consultation. You can also reach out to us online.
Why You Should Hire an NYC Personal Injury Lawyer After a Truck Accident
Truck accidents are complex, and trucking companies don’t freely admit they made a mistake and accept responsibility for their errors. Not only do insurance companies shirk responsibility, but they also lawyer up from the start. Fortunately, you don’t have to deal with the aftermath of your truck accident alone. You can level the playing field by hiring an experienced New York City personal injury lawyer ready to fight for the maximum compensation you deserve and who has the resources to do it. That is why calling The Platta Law Firm is a good move.
Our lawyers are excellent negotiators and equally adept in the courtroom. During a scheduled free consultation, our attorneys will answer your questions, evaluate your case, and give you your options moving forward. As contingency lawyers, you will only pay a fee once you win.
NYC Truck Accident Statistics – 2022 Update
Trucks play a critical role in New York City’s economy, so it’s not uncommon to see a big rig or tractor-trailer in one of the boroughs. Unfortunately, the design of New York City’s roads does not accommodate large vehicles, and truck accidents happen frequently. According to a compilation of data published by the New York City Police Department (NYPD), 4,991 truck accidents were reported citywide in 2021. Statistics show the percentage of truck accidents in the various boroughs:
- Queens: 24.2 percent of the city’s total
- Bronx: 21.8 percent of all truck accidents in the city
- Manhattan: 17.7 percent of the city’s total
- Staten Island: 3.5 percent of the number of the city’s truck accidents
- Brooklyn: 32.5 percent of the city’s total
Around 72.7 percent of all NYC truck accidents happened at an intersection, while the remaining 27.2 percent occurred on the open road. Please watch the following video from The Platta Law Firm about the prevalence and causes of catastrophic truck accidents:
Responsibility for a Truck Accident
Responsibility for a truck collision is a significant part of a big rig accident case. Let’s look at what liability can exist:
- Truck manufacturers have a responsibility to build and sell safe vehicles. This also holds true for varied auto parts. For instance, defective tires are responsible for many truck crashes. It is possible to file a negligence claim against the trucking company alongside one for product liability with the tire manufacturer.
- Trucking companies must screen, hire and train qualified truck drivers. If the driver lacks sufficient training and causes an accident because of it, the trucking company will be responsible.
- Truckers and trucking companies must follow regulations by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) and New York State. Violations are seen as negligent behavior.
- Drivers must demonstrate superior knowledge of state and federal trucking laws, obtain a CDL license and necessary endorsements before driving a big rig.
What Are the Leading Causes of Large Truck Accidents in New York City?
When truck accidents happen in New York City, it’s usually due to driver, governmental or company error. Some of the most common factors that contribute to truck crashes in NYC include:
- Speeding: Increased speed causes loss of driver control and a greater crash impact. It also makes it more difficult for the trucker to stop or execute a corrective maneuver.
- Road Defects: When government agencies in charge of road maintenance fail to keep them in good condition this can lead to accidents. Potholes, ruts and overhanging branches obscuring signage all present dangerous conditions. Warning signs are particularly important for truckers who must alter their speed in anticipation of changing road structure and conditions.
- Negligent Hiring: Failure to adequately review credentials and train drivers can make a trucking company liable for an incident.
- Braking and Tire Problems: Failure to maintain a truck’s brakes is a major cause of truck crashes. Truck owners often bypass this important measure in an attempt to save money. Tire defects are equally dangerous.
- Merging Errors: Failure to yield is a major reason for collisions between a passenger vehicle and a truck. This catastrophic error is responsible for many highway deaths, particularly at on-ramps.
- Drug or Alcohol Use: Driving impaired can affect a trucker’s judgment and cause many cognitive defects.
- Inexperienced Truck Drivers: Inexperience behind the wheel of a big rig leads to driver error and truck crashes. Many inexperienced truckers are on the road because of the long-running trucker shortage.
- Negligent Truck Maintenance: Maintenance is key to safe truck operation. Failing to maintain a truck can lead to accidents later on. In this situation, the trucking company and even the mechanic can be held liable.
- Improper Cargo Loading: When cargo is not loaded correctly, it can shift leading to imbalance and rollover crashes among others.
How Weather and Other Factors Affect Truck Safety
Bad weather conditions, limited visibility, traffic congestion, vehicle defects, road construction and other factors can also contribute to trucking accidents in the city. By being prepared for bad weather and taking road congestion into consideration, a trucker can avoid crashes.
Slowing down and abiding by traffic signs during road construction helps avoid truck accidents. Your New York truck accident lawyer searches for reasons an accident happens to show liability.
How Does Liability Work in an NYC Truck Accident Case?
Liability extends to anyone who contributed to an NYC truck accident. This could include drivers physically involved in the crash or parties who had a more indirect role. Following a thorough investigation of your crash, our truck accident attorneys in NYC may determine that one or more of the following parties are at fault:
- Truck driver
- Trucking company
- Cargo loader
- Government agency
- Truck or vehicle manufacturer
- Negligent third-party motorist
The Platta Law Firm will seek compensation from all liable parties to ensure that you can recover from the damage and emotional anguish under New York state law.
What Happens if I’m Getting Blamed for My NYC Truck Accident?
You might share responsibility for a truck accident if your negligence played a part in the crash. In these situations, you can still recover compensation for your injuries and damages if you’re not entirely at fault. However, your financial award will be reduced under New York’s pure comparative negligence law in direct proportion to fault.
For example, imagine getting hurt in a truck accident and suffering injuries valued at $1,000,000. Once the investigation is complete, you’re assigned 25 percent fault for the crash by the court. When your case is resolved, you can receive a maximum recovery of $750,000.
Victim-blaming tactics aren’t uncommon. After all, the more fault you’re assigned, the less a truck company or insurance carrier will have to pay for your injuries and suffering. So it’s essential to be prepared for these (often baseless) allegations. If you choose one of our New York City truck accident attorneys, you’ll have a team anticipating the defendant’s strategy and ready to fight for you at every turn.
How Much Is My NYC Commercial Truck Accident Case Worth?
You might wonder how much money you might be able to recover if you file an insurance claim or lawsuit after a truck accident in New York City. Each case is different, and many factors can affect the value of a truck accident claim. Some important factors are:
- What type of injuries did you suffer?
- Are you blamed for the truck accident?
- Will you live with a permanent disability or impairment?
- Do your doctors think you’ll make a full physical and psychological recovery?
- Has your ability to work changed at all since your accident?
- How old were you at the time of the tractor-trailer accident?
- What was your earning capacity before your truck accident? What’s your earning power now?
- How has the trauma of being involved in a truck accident affected you emotionally or psychologically?
As a general rule of thumb, cases tend to be more complex when a victim’s day-to-day life changes substantially because of the extent and severity of their truck accident injuries. Of course, every case is different. At The Platta Law Firm, we’ve resolved numerous cases successfully, ending with meaningful financial victories.
Large Truck Accidents Can Cause Significant Injuries
Whether you’re involved in a jackknife, rollover truck accident, head-on collision or another type of incident with a big rig, the injuries you sustain can be life-changing. At The Platta Law Firm, we represent truck accident victims who’ve suffered the following:
- Soft tissue, neck or back injury
- Burn injury
- Broken bones
- Crushing injury
- Spinal cord injury
- Traumatic brain injury
- Internal organ trauma
- Wrongful death
Get to the closest hospital in New York City after your truck accident. Prompt medical care can limit the likelihood of complications or failure to catch internal injuries on time. Once your condition is stable, it’s critical to reach out to a qualified New York truck accident lawyer to discuss your situation and learn about your legal options.
What Damages Are Available to Truck Accident Victims?
Compensatory damages are available to truck accident victims in New York. This compensation can offset a large truck accident’s financial burdens and losses. Examples of compensatory damages include:
- Hospitalization, surgery, medication and other current medical expenses
- Future medical bills if the injury is long-term
- Disability and the cost of assistive devices such as wheelchairs and home modification
- Lost wages, which include salaries, benefits, commissions and job perks
- Property loss includes damage to your vehicle and items in the car
- Physical therapy after the accident
- Nursing assistance in the home
- Lost work opportunities in the future
Pain and Suffering
Pain and suffering cover the consequences of a truck accident that are tough to financially catalog. Examples of these damages include:
- Loss of consortium
- Chronic physical pain
- Reduced quality of life
- Mental and emotional injuries related to the accident such as anxiety, insomnia and fear of leaving the home or driving
In rare situations, punitive damages might be appropriate. These damages are not used to compensate the victim but to punish the defendant and prevent future occurrences. Ask your attorney whether your case warrants punitive damages.
What’s the Deadline for Filing a Personal Injury Lawsuit After a New York Truck Accident?
New York State has a three-year statute of limitations that applies to the vast majority of truck accident lawsuits. This is the deadline within which you can file a claim.
Once the statute of limitations expires you lose the opportunity to file a claim, demand financial accountability and secure compensation.
There are some exceptions, including cases involving wrongful death, minors or negligent government agencies. Depending on the situation, it could give you less time to act – not more.
How Much Does it Cost to Hire a Truck Accident Lawyer in NYC?
In New York City, truck accident lawyers work on what is called a contingency basis. This means you will have no out-of-pocket or upfront cost to hire our attorneys. Instead, our law firm covers litigation costs and assumes the risks associated with your truck accident claim. We receive a pre-agreed-upon percentage of your financial award when you win. It’s that simple and it helps to ensure that you can get the legal help you need without stressing about the cost.
Schedule Your Free Consultation With a Trusted NYC Truck Accident Lawyer
The consequences of an unexpected truck accident in New York City can be overwhelming and sometimes life-threatening. Fortunately, you can file a claim to hold a negligent trucker, trucking company or another responsible party accountable.
At The Platta Law Firm, our New York truck accident attorneys are ready to help you achieve the best possible outcome in your injury case. Give our office a call to arrange a free, non-obligation case evaluation. We’ll listen to your story, help you understand your legal options and provide the guidance and counsel you deserve during this trying time. If you decide to file a claim, we’ll be there beside you every step of the way. Contact our New York City law office at (212) 514-5100 or online to get started today.