Brooklyn Bicycle Accident Lawyer
After a bicycle accident in Brooklyn, New York, it is important to consider your legal options. The Platta Law Firm can help. You may have the right to seek compensation for costs related to medical treatment, a sudden loss of income, and the emotional distress you’ve experienced. Our Brooklyn bicycle accident lawyers can help you assert your rights and make the most of your fight for compensation. At The Platta Law Firm, we have dedicated our careers to helping injured cyclists and grieving families fight back after life-changing bicycle accidents in Brooklyn. As award-winning New York trial attorneys with over 150 years of combined experience, we’ve proven that we can make a genuine impact in the lives of the people we represent.
We have forced insurance companies and corporations in New York to pay our clients hundreds of millions in settlements and jury awards. Now, we’re ready to help you achieve the best results in your bike accident case, too. Schedule a free consultation with our team by calling our NYC law office today.
The Platta Law Firm Can Make a Difference After a Bicycle Accident in Brooklyn, NY
While you may be entitled to compensation after you’re hit by a car while riding your bike in Brooklyn, getting a fair settlement can be more challenging than it should be.
Those responsible for the accident certainly will not rush to accept blame. An insurance company will invest considerable time and resources into fighting your claim and limiting your financial payout.
Make life easier by turning to our Brooklyn personal injury lawyers for help. When you choose The Platta Law Firm, you put a team of passionate, successful legal advocates in your corner who are genuinely invested in your future. You’ll be able to count on us to:
- Explain all of your legal rights and options during a free initial case evaluation.
- Take your case on a contingency fee basis, which means you only pay if we win your bicycle accident case.
- Take care of the paperwork and administrative aspects of your case on your behalf.
- Promptly investigate the bicycle accident to pinpoint the cause and liability.
- Gather and analyze evidence to prove your case and leverage a life-changing financial recovery.
- Bring in bicycle accident experts, medical professionals, forensic specialists, and other experts to provide guidance and insight as we build your legal case.
- Represent you during all negotiations with the insurance company and other parties.
- Offer advice when you’re asked to make important decisions about the future of your case.
- Litigate your bicycle accident lawsuit in front of a Brooklyn jury if you don’t receive a fair settlement offer.
You’re dealing with catastrophic injuries and crippling emotional distress after your bike accident. You’ll get through this difficult time, and our bicycle accident attorneys in Brooklyn will be there to help every step of the way.
Contact our New York City, NY law office today to get started. Members of our team are always available to take your call, answer your questions, and set up a time for a free initial case evaluation.
Brooklyn Bicycle Accident Statistics
While Brooklyn boasts more than 300 dedicated miles of bike lanes and trails, it’s still incredibly risky for riders to share the road with other vehicles. Statistically speaking, there are more bicycle accidents in Brooklyn than in any other borough in New York City.
In 2021, there were 1,274 car accidents involving bicyclists in Brooklyn. That accounted for 36 percent of all bike accidents citywide.
Brooklyn sees roughly 3 to 4 bicycle accidents every single day. Nearly all bicycle accidents in Brooklyn occur at intersections. Some of the most dangerous intersections for cyclists in Brooklyn include:
- Jay Street and Tillary Street
- Atlantic Avenue and Bedford Avenue
- Jay Street and Myrtle Avenue
- Bushwick Avenue and Grand Street
- Graham Avenue and Grand Street
- Roebling Street and South 4th Street
Of course, cyclists can get into accidents just about anywhere in Brooklyn. However, avoiding these intersections and/or exercising additional caution – especially at peak traffic times – can help to reduce the risk of an accident.
How Do I Win a Bicycle Accident Lawsuit?
Bicycle accidents typically happen when someone is negligent. Negligence, very simply, refers to a lack of reasonable care. For example, these acts of negligence are some of the most common causes of bike accidents in Brooklyn:
- Making illegal or unsafe turns
- Distracted driving
- Drug and alcohol use
- Unsafe passing
- Running red lights and stop signs
- Failing to use a turning signal
- Failing to yield the right of way
When your bicycle accident lawsuit is based on the tort of negligence, you’ll have the burden of proving the following:
- The defendant owed you a duty of care
- The defendant acted unreasonably under the circumstances, which breached the duty of care owed to you,
- The defendant’s actions were the actual and proximate cause of your bicycle accident, and
- You can identify specific damages you’ve suffered, as a result.
Simply put, you must be able to demonstrate that the bicycle accident would not have happened if the defendant had acted reasonably. If they’d been more careful, the accident (and your resulting injuries) likely would not have happened.
Who Could Be Liable For a Brooklyn Bicycle Crash?
Bike accidents can happen for a lot of different reasons. In New York, anyone who plays a role in causing a bicycle accident – no matter how slight – can be financially responsible for resulting damages. Once our bicycle accident lawyers in Brooklyn have investigated your case, we might determine that one or more of the following parties are liable:
- The driver of a passenger vehicle
- Another bicyclist
- A truck or bus driver
- Transit company or service, like the MTA
- A pedestrian
- The manufacturer of a vehicle, bicycle, or safety equipment
- A property owner
- A government agency responsible for road maintenance and design
- The employer of a negligent party
Once liability is clear, we’ll put the full force and resources of our law firm into legal action to get you the financial accountability you deserve.
What Compensation Can I Get If I File a Brooklyn Bicycle Injury Claim?
After a bicycle accident in Brooklyn, you can take legal action against a liable party. Through an insurance claim or lawsuit, you can ask for compensatory damages. Compensatory damages can include money for financial costs associated with your bike accident (known as economic damages) and for the difficult-to-value trauma you experience as a victim. Our Brooklyn bicycle accident attorneys will help you fight to get damages for:
- Current and future medical bills
- Physical therapy
- Nursing assistance
- Medical equipment and prosthetics
- Lost wages
- Property damage
- Out-of-pocket expenses
- Chronic physical pain
- Reduced quality of life
- Mental anguish
- Loss of consortium
In a limited number of cases, punitive damages can also be available. Pursuant to New York state law, there must be clear and convincing evidence of malice or a conscious disregard for the victim’s safety.
What Factors Can Affect My Bike Accident Settlement?
It’s easy to wonder what your bicycle accident case might be worth. In truth, it’s hard to say without evaluating the specific facts and circumstances of your crash. Several factors can positively or negatively affect the value of your case:
- What types of injuries did you suffer in the bicycle accident?
- Are your injuries serious?
- Will you be permanently disabled?
- Do you require assistance performing daily tasks, such as eating or bathing?
- Have you been able to continue working since the bike accident?
- Has your earning capacity changed?
- What steps did you take to mitigate your damages?
- Are you getting blamed for the bike accident?
- Did the accident aggravate any pre-existing medical issues?
- How old are you?
It’s important to take every possible factor into consideration when determining how much money you might be able to recover for your bicycle accident injuries. Working with an experienced personal injury attorney near you in Brooklyn can help you maximize your recovery.
Call The Platta Law Firm. We’ve won hundreds of millions of dollars for our clients. You can benefit from our 150+ years of experience and proven ability to construct winning personal injury disputes, too. Set up a free consultation today.
Can I Get Compensation If I am Blamed For a Brooklyn Bicycle Accident?
Sharing some of the blame for a bike accident will not prevent you from recovering compensation. However, it will affect how much money you’ll recover in a settlement or jury award.
Under New York’s pure comparative negligence system, monetary damages are reduced based on fault. If you’re 15 percent responsible for a Brooklyn bicycle accident, your financial award will be reduced by 15 percent to reflect that.
Do not be surprised when others point fingers and try to blame you for the accident. This strategy is used to limit how much – if any – compensation you’re awarded. Our bicycle accident lawyers in Brooklyn, NY will anticipate these types of tactics and work to limit any liability that is assigned to you. Our goal isn’t just to win your case, it’s to ensure that you walk away with every cent you deserve.
Commonly Reported Bicycle Accident Injuries
Bicyclists are susceptible to serious, life-threatening injuries when they’re involved in car accidents in Brooklyn. At The Platta Law Firm, we’ll be here to help you seek compensation for all of your crash-related injuries, including:
- Cuts and lacerations
- Soft tissue injury
- Joint injury
- Brain injury
- Eye injury
- Spinal cord injury
- Back injury
- Herniated discs
- Neck injury
- Broken bones
- Internal organ damage
- Road rash
- Crushing injury
- Catastrophic injury
- Wrongful death of a loved one
You can reduce the risk of serious injury by making sure that you wear a properly fitting bike helmet whenever you ride your bike in Brooklyn. While New York law only requires helmets for cyclists aged 14 and under, it’s smart for all riders to protect themselves. Wearing a helmet can significantly reduce the risk of death and/or severe brain injuries in an accident.
What is the Statute of Limitations for New York Bicycle Accident Lawsuits?
In New York, you will have three years from the date of your bicycle accident to file a legal claim for damages. If you’re struggling with the loss of a family member after a fatal Brooklyn bicycle accident, you’ll have two years from their death to file a wrongful death action. The statute of limitations has a few exceptions. It’s important to file your claim before the deadline expires. Once time runs out, you lose the opportunity to assert your rights and demand the compensation you deserve.
Trusted Brooklyn Bicycle Accident Lawyers Ready to Fight For You
Call The Platta Law Firm if you’ve been hurt in a bicycle accident in Brooklyn, New York. You may have the right to demand compensation from a negligent motorist, a product manufacturer, the government, or an insurance company. Our award-winning Brooklyn bicycle accident lawyers can help you maximize your recovery. Schedule a free consultation with our team by contacting our NYC law office today. We’re always here to help – 24/7.
Brooklyn Neighborhoods We Serve
Barren Island, Bergen Beach and Georgetown, Coney Island, Brighton Beach, West Brighton, Manhattan Beach, Sea Gate, Sheepshead Bay and Madison, Homecrest, Midwood, Flatlands, Gerritsen Beach, Gravesend, Marine Park, Mill Basin, and Plumb Beach.