STATEN ISLAND MOTORCYCLE ACCIDENT LAWYER
Using a Staten Island motorcycle accident lawyer from The Platta Law Firm will be critical in making sure you can recover physically and financially after a motorbike incident. No matter how severe your injuries, our award-winning team of attorneys has all the experience you’ll need to make sure you receive the compensation you deserve.
While you might be tempted to handle your accident on your own, only a Staten Island motorcycle accident lawyer will understand how to navigate to complex laws and local regulations related to your case. Our attorneys are fierce advocates when it comes to protecting your rights.
Call us now at 212-514-5100 for a free consultation with a specialist. We’ll guide you through the legal process and help you get back on track during this challenging time.
A Staten Island Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Knows the Statistics
To help build a strong case on your behalf, attorneys at The Platta Law Firm stay current with statistics related to motorcycle collisions. For example, we know that data from the Institute for Traffic Safety Management & Research (ITSMR) indicates that the rate of motorcycle crashes in New York has increased almost 30% in recent years.
Additionally, certain times of the day and year are more treacherous than others for riding a motorcycle. The New York City Motorcycle Safety Study revealed that crashes resulting in injury are more likely to occur in the afternoon or evening during the weekend. Furthermore, motorcycle injury crashes increase significantly during the summer months.
Finally, men account for far more injury-related motorcycle accidents than do women. Some reasons for this are that there are more male motorcyclists on the road, they often engage in riskier riding behaviors, and they ride larger and more powerful machines.
Common Causes of Motorcycle Accidents
Accidents occurring on motorbikes can happen for a variety of reasons. These incidents make up only a small percentage of traffic accidents, but they have an excessively high rate of injury.
Factors ranging from environmental hazards, to rider behavior, to the motorcycle itself can contribute to unexpected misfortune on the road. Common causes of motorcycle accidents include:
- Left-Turning Vehicles: Cars making a left turn in front of an oncoming motorcycle often underestimate the motorcycle’s speed or fail to see it.
- Defective Equipment: Mechanical failures or defects in motorcycle parts include issues with brakes, tires, and other essential systems.
- Speeding: Riding a motorcycle at extreme speeds reduces riders’ reaction times and their ability to maneuver safely.
- Poor Road Conditions: Hazardous road conditions such as potholes, gravel, and slippery surfaces present substantial risks to motorcyclists.
- Lane Splitting: Lane splitting is illegal on Staten Island, New York, but it is still a common cause of accidents involving motorcycles.
- Impaired Riding: Riding under the influence of drugs or alcohol negatively affects a rider’s judgment, reaction time, and coordination.
- Inexperienced Riders: New riders may not have the experience and skill to handle challenging riding conditions.
- Driver Inattention to Motorcycles: Car and truck drivers can fail to notice motorcycles due to their smaller size.
- Weather Conditions: Poor weather conditions like fog, rain, ice, and snow can reduce visibility and make road surfaces unpredictable.
The circumstances surrounding your accident will inform how we approach your Staten Island motorcycle accident case. Fortunately, we have over 150 years of combined legal experience that we’ll use to obtain the best possible results for your unique situation.
Motorcycle Fatalities are on the Rise
A Forbes report recently stated that 5,579 motorcycle riders were killed in fatal traffic accidents nationwide. The Fatality Analysis Reporting System (FARS) used to gather the information indicated that this number was the highest motorcycle fatality count since FARS began collecting data in 1975. The report also stated that many motorcycle fatalities were due to speeding, driving under the influence, and failure to wear a helmet.
Approximately 61% of motorcycle deaths happen in urban areas like Staten Island, and about 35% of motorcycle fatalities happen at intersections. Only 8% of accidents happen on interstates.
On a local level, the ITSMR stated that motorcycle fatalities in New York have been on the rise. Deaths as a result from motorcycle crashes increased over 52% from 2019 to 2021, and preliminary data from the past couple of years suggests the numbers are continuing to increase.
The Most Dangerous Roads on Staten Island
The Platta Law Firm consults NYPD collision reporting numbers to stay on top of the dangers of driving on Staten Island. The intersections below are known for higher rates of accidents in the borough:
- Hylan Boulevard and Allison/Ebbitts St
- Hylan Boulevard and Richmond Avenue
- Hylan Boulevard and New Dorp Lane
- Hylan Boulevard and Old Town Road
- Hylan Boulevard and Nelson Avenue
- Clove Road and Victory Boulevard
- Rockland Avenue and Manor Road
- Arthur Kill Road and Drumgoole Road West
- Father Capodanno Boulevard and Sand Lane
Our attorneys are well aware of the potential for motorcycle collisions on all of these busy thoroughfares. If you’ve experienced an accident on these roads or any other roads on Staten Island, we can help.
Types of Injuries Suffered in Motorcycle Accidents
According to a study published by the National Library of Medicine, there are four main categories of motorcycle crash types, each of which can result in a wide range of injuries. Riders in motorcycle accidents can be thrown from the bike, suffer trapped arms and legs, or even be injured by the motorcycle’s tire spokes or fuel tank.
Common types of motorcycle collision injuries can include:
- Head injuries
- Burn injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Fractures and broken bones
- Internal injuries
- Soft tissue injuries
- Facial injuries
- Road rash
Whether you’ve experienced one or several of these injuries, they can all lead to complex medical conditions and long-term physical and psychological consequences. The Platta Law Firm is very familiar with the many kinds of injuries that result from motorcycle accidents.
Our lawyers understand medical terminology and can effectively communicate with health professionals to gather evidence regarding your injuries and treatment.
We’ll build the strongest case possible to support your ability to heal. We will look at your case from every angle to make sure you are sufficiently compensated for your medical needs both now and in the future.
Preventing Motorcycle Accident Injuries on Staten Island
Riding a motorcycle safely on Staten Island requires a combination of proper training, attentive behavior, and the use of protective gear. Here are some essential tips that can help keep you safe on the road:
Wear Protective Gear:
- Always wear an approved motorcycle helmet to protect your head and brain.
- Use gloves, a motorcycle jacket, heavy-duty pants, and substantial boots.
- Consider additional safety gear like knee and elbow pads.
Enroll in a certified motorcycle safety course. These courses teach essential riding skills, safety techniques, and defensive riding strategies.
Take advantage of available resources and continuously improve your riding skills through ongoing education and practice.
Inspect Your Motorcycle:
- Stay on top of checking your motorcycle’s brakes, tires, lights, turn signals, and other basic mechanisms before every ride.
- Wear reflective or brightly-colored clothing to increase visibility, especially at night or during other low-light conditions. Use your motorcycle’s lights and horn to make yourself more noticeable to others.
Use Defensive Riding Techniques:
- Look out for potential hazards and be prepared to react to unexpected situations.
- Use suitable riding techniques for turns, lane changes, and braking.
- Yield the right of way when required and be careful at intersections where many accidents occur.
- Keep a safe distance between your motorcycle and the vehicle in front of you to allow for reaction time.
- Adjust your riding speed and technique in weather conditions such as rain, snow, or fog.
Even when taking all of these precautions to make your ride safe, accidents can still happen. When they do, our legal team is here to support you.
How the Platta Law Firm Will Help
Our experienced team of legal professionals specializes in motorcycle accident cases, and we’ve built a reputation for providing expert legal counsel, and a determined pursuit of justice for our clients across Staten Island. With a solid understanding of the complexities surrounding motorcycle accident claims, we are here to help you navigate the legal maze and fight for your rights. Our mission is to secure the compensation you deserve for your medical bills, lost wages, long term consequences, property loss, pain and suffering, and emotional distress.
Choosing the right attorney to represent you after a motorcycle accident is a critical decision, and it can significantly impact the outcome of your case. At The Platta Law Firm, we set ourselves apart by prioritizing your well-being as well as your pursuit of justice. Here’s what you can expect when you choose us to handle your motorcycle accident claim:
- Proven Track Record: We have successfully represented countless motorcycle accident victims, securing large settlements and favorable verdicts.
- Personalized Attention: Your case is unique. We take the time to listen to your story, understand your needs, and shape our legal strategies to achieve the best possible outcome for you.
- Aggressive Advocacy: We are fierce advocates for our clients, committed to holding responsible parties accountable for their negligence. Whether through negotiation or litigation, we fight tirelessly to maximize your compensation.
- Compassion: We recognize that the aftermath of a motorcycle accident can be physically, emotionally, and financially devastating. Our team approaches each case with empathy and sensitivity, ensuring you receive the support you need throughout the legal process.
- Outstanding Results: Our results speak for themselves. We have a long history of achieving exceptional outcomes for all of our clients, helping them rebuild their lives after disaster strikes.
If you’ve been involved in a motorcycle crash on Staten Island, you don’t have to face it alone. We’ll help you take the first steps towards recovery and the monetary reward you’re entitled to.
Contact The Platta Law Firm at 212-514-5100 and set up a no-cost consultation with a Staten Island motorcycle accident lawyer from our dedicated team.
Staten Island Neighborhoods We Serve
Annadale, Arden Heights, Arlington, Arrochar, Bay Terrace, Bloomfield, Brighton Heights, Bulls Head, Castleton Corners, Charleston, Chelsea, Clifton, Concord, Dongan Hills, Egbertville, Elm Park, Eltingville, Emerson Hill, Graniteville, Grant City, Grasmere, Great Kills, Greenridge, Grymes Hill, Hamilton Park, Heartland Village, Huguenot, Lighthouse Hill, Livingston, Manor Heights, Mariners Harbor, Meiers Corners, Midland Beach, New Brighton, New Dorp, New Springville, Oakwood, Old Place, Old Town, Pleasant Plains, Port Ivory, Port Richmond, Prince’s Bay, Randall Manor, Richmond Valley, Richmondtown, Rosebank, Rossville, Saint George, Sandy Ground, Shore Acres, Silver Lake, South Beach, Stapleton, Stapleton Heights, Sunnyside, Todt Hill, Tompkinsville, Tottenville, Tottenville Beach, Travis, West New Brighton, Westerleigh, Willowbrook, Woodrow.