Staten Island Bicycle Accident Attorney
Bicycling has become a popular mode of transportation on Staten Island. However, with its rise, there’s also been an increase in bicycle accidents. If you’ve been injured in a cycling accident, a Staten Island bicycle attorney can prove incredibly helpful.
Whether you ride for pleasure, to commute to work, or simply to get around, a Staten Island bicycle accident attorney can inform you of your rights in the event of an accident. The award-winning attorneys at The Platta Law Firm are highly skilled at handling bicycle accident cases on Staten Island. Call them today at 212-514-5100 to find out how much your case may be worth.
Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents on Staten Island
Staten Island has seen its fair share of traffic and congestion. As a result, streets and intersections can be hazardous for bicyclists. Although there have been efforts such as designated bike lanes and bike-sharing programs to improve cycling infrastructure, accidents still occur for a variety of reasons including:
- Failure to Yield: Right of way is often a point of contention. Motorists sometimes overlook or ignore cyclists when making turns or at intersections.
- Poor Visibility: Accidents can occur when Staten Island bicyclists are not easily seen, especially during nighttime, dawn, or dusk. This is compounded if they are not using proper lights or reflective clothing.
- Dooring Accidents: This occurs when the occupant of a parked car opens the door without checking for oncoming cyclists, causing the bike rider to crash into the door.
- Unsafe Road Conditions: Potholes, gravel, wet leaves, and other road imperfections or debris on Staten Island roads can pose significant hazards.
- Intersections & Right-of-Way Confusion: Many accidents happen at intersections where drivers and cyclists misunderstand or disregard right-of-way rules. A common scenario is the “right hook,” where a car turns right and cuts off a straight-going bike rider.
- Speeding & Reckless Behavior: Both motorists and bicyclists who exceed speed limits or engage in aggressive maneuvers are at a higher risk of causing or being involved in accidents.
- Lack of Proper Signage or Infrastructure: In areas without dedicated bike lanes, proper signage, or safe crossing points, there is a higher likelihood of collisions between bikes and cars.
Bicycle accidents on Staten Island are all too common. Any negligent or careless act can lead to serious injuries. When a crash occurs between a cyclist and a motor vehicle, the damage can be painful and costly. If you’ve been hurt in this type of collision, contact our Staten Island bicycle accident attorneys right away to get the help you need.
What to Do After a Bicycle Accident
If you’re involved in a bicycle accident on Staten Island, it’s vital to ensure your safety and understand the legal and medical implications. The following steps should be taken after being involved in this type of accident:
- Check for Injuries: Your health and safety come first. If you’re seriously injured, try to remain still and call for help or ask someone nearby to call 911.
- Move to Safety: If you’re in the middle of the road and it’s safe to move, get to the sidewalk or a safer spot to prevent further danger from oncoming traffic.
- Call the Police: Even if the accident seems minor, it’s crucial to file an official report. This will be essential if you need to make an insurance claim or take legal action.
- Exchange Information: Collect the personal and insurance details of all parties involved, including witnesses. This should include names, addresses, phone numbers, license plate numbers, and insurance information.
- Document Everything: Take video and photographs of your bicycle, your injuries, any vehicles involved, and the overall scene. This can be crucial evidence if legal or insurance issues arise later.
- Seek Medical Attention: Even if you feel okay after your Staten Island bicycle accident, some injuries might not be immediately apparent. Visit a doctor or an emergency room to get a full assessment. This also creates a medical record linked to the accident.
- Consult with a Lawyer: If you believe you’ll need compensation for medical bills, damages, or lost wages, contact a Staten Island personal injury attorney familiar with bicycle accident cases.
Lastly, DON’T discuss the accident on social media or with the at-fault party’s insurance company. Even if you believe you might be partially at fault, avoid making statements that could be used against you later. It’s best to let an experienced personal injury attorney handle all your communications.
Types of Injuries Suffered in Bicycle Accidents
Bicycle accidents, regardless of the cause, can result in severe and sometimes life-altering injuries.
The lack of protective barriers compared to motor vehicles leaves cyclists particularly vulnerable during collisions or falls.
As bicycling continues to grow in popularity, awareness of the potential injuries associated with it becomes increasingly important.
The most common injuries from bicycle accidents include:
- Head Injuries: These range from mild concussions to traumatic brain injuries. Helmets can reduce the risk, but they do not eliminate it entirely.
- Fractures: Cyclists often suffer broken bones, especially in the wrists, arms, and collarbone, due to instinctively extending their arms to break a fall.
- Facial and Dental Injuries: Falling face-first on a Staten Island road can result in broken jaws, fractured facial bones, or damaged teeth.
- Spinal Cord Injuries: These can be particularly severe and lead to permanent paralysis or disability.
- Abrasion and Road Rash: Sliding across pavement can result in these painful skin injuries which may require surgical treatment.
- Dislocations: Commonly affecting the shoulder or knee, these injuries occur when joints are forced out of their normal positions.
- Internal Injuries: A heavy impact from a Staten Island bicycle accident can result in damage to internal organs, internal bleeding, or even punctured lungs.
Immediate medical attention and proper protective gear like helmets and pads can mitigate the severity of these injuries. However, the best prevention is caution and staying aware while cycling.
Whether you’ve experienced one or several of these injuries, they can all lead to complex medical conditions and long-term physical and psychological consequences.
Why Choose The Platta Law Firm for Your Staten Island Bicycle Accident Case?
After getting hurt in a bicycle accident, you’ll want to focus on the healing process. Pursuing an injury claim on your own will only make things more stressful during this difficult time.
Letting our experienced Staten Island bicycle accident attorneys take the reins will give you the time and peace of mind you need to recover. It will also significantly improve your chances of getting the maximum cash award for the injuries you’ve suffered.
Our skilled personal injury lawyers offer the following advantages when it comes to handling Staten Island bicycle accident cases.
- Expertise in Personal Injury Law: We have the expertise to handle bicycle accident cases and understand the complexities of personal injury law. Our legal team can ensure that your rights are protected and that you receive the compensation you deserve.
- Effective Negotiation with Insurance Companies: Insurance companies can sometimes offer a lowball settlement. We can negotiate on your behalf to ensure you get the appropriate compensation.
- Determination of Liability: In some bicycle accidents, it might be challenging to determine who is at fault. Our professional legal team will conduct a thorough investigation, gather evidence, and work with experts to determine liability accurately.
- Assessment of True Damages: After an accident, you might not immediately be aware of all the damages you’ve incurred, both physically and emotionally. We’ll help assess the full extent of your injuries, potential future medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, and other damages.
- Litigation Preparedness: If negotiations with the responsible party or insurance company break down, the next step might be to go to court. Having our knowledgeable lawyers in your corner ensures you’re prepared for litigation.
Rest assured, if you’ve been injured in a bicycle accident on Staten Island, we’ll use all our resources and know-how to secure a maximum cash settlement or verdict.
Time and again, we win BIG for our injured clients. Since our inception, The Platta Law Firm has successfully recovered hundreds of millions in compensation on their behalf. Simply give us a call at 212-514-5100 to get the help you need.
Who Can be Held Liable for Your Bicycle Accident Injuries?
In the aftermath of a bicycle accident, determining liability is crucial for the injured party to receive compensation.
Under New York state law, anyone who contributes to a bicycle accident can be liable for damages.
When it comes to these type of accidents, various entities could be held accountable, including:
- Motor Vehicle Drivers: If a cyclist’s injury results from a collision with a car or truck, the driver might be liable, especially if they failed to obey traffic laws or were driving recklessly.
- The Cyclist Themselves: There are instances where injured cyclists might be found partially or entirely at fault, such as when they ignore traffic signals or ride in an unpredictable manner.
- Local Municipalities: If a bicycle accident is caused by poorly maintained Staten Island roads, lack of proper signage, or other infrastructure issues, the local government might be held responsible.
- Manufacturers: If the bicycle or any of its components had a manufacturing defect that led to the accident, the manufacturer could be held liable.
- Other Cyclists or Pedestrians: Sometimes, other cyclists or pedestrians can act negligently, leading to accidents. In these cases, they could be found responsible for the injuries sustained.
Knowing who to hold responsible for your Staten Island bicycle accident is vital to your case. Our lawyers will do the research and investigation needed to best determine the cause of the accident and who is at fault. The circumstances surrounding your accident will inform how we approach your Staten Island bicycle accident case. We have over 150 years of combined legal experience that we’ll use to obtain the best possible results for your unique situation.
Local Resources on Staten Island
If you have been injured in a bicycle accident, you’ll want to go to one of Staten Island’s hospitals as soon as possible. Some to consider include:
- Emergency Department at NYU Langone Health – Cobble Hill
- Staten Island University Hospital
- Northwell Health Staten Island University Hospital
- Richmond University Medical Center
Need repairs to your damaged bicycle? These bike repair shops on Staten Island can help you get your bicycle fully operational and safely back on the road.
- The Bike Shop of Staten Island
- Bennetts Bicycles
- Mike’s Bike Shop
- NYC Bicycle Shop
Contact Us Today for a Free Consultation
Bicycle accidents can have long-term physical, emotional, and financial impacts. If you or a loved one have been injured in a bicycle accident on Staten Island, don’t face it alone.
Let our Staten Island bicycle accident attorneys guide you through the complex legal process and fight for the compensation you deserve. Call us today at 212-514-5100.
Staten Island Neighborhoods We Serve
Annadale, Arden Heights, Arlington, Arrochar, Bay Terrace, Bloomfield, Brighton Heights, Bulls Head, Castleton Corners, Charleston, Chelsea, Clifton, Concord, Dongan Hills, Egbertville, Elm Park, Eltingville, Emerson Hill, Graniteville, Grant City, Grasmere, Great Kills, Greenridge, Grymes Hill, Hamilton Park, Heartland Village, Huguenot, Lighthouse Hill, Livingston, Manor Heights, Mariners Harbor, Meiers Corners, Midland Beach, New Brighton, New Dorp, New Springville, Oakwood, Old Place, Old Town, Pleasant Plains, Port Ivory, Port Richmond, Prince’s Bay, Randall Manor, Richmond Valley, Richmondtown, Rosebank, Rossville, Saint George, Sandy Ground, Shore Acres, Silver Lake, South Beach, Stapleton, Stapleton Heights, Sunnyside, Todt Hill, Tompkinsville, Tottenville, Tottenville Beach, Travis, West New Brighton, Westerleigh, Willowbrook, Woodrow.