STATEN ISLAND TRUCK ACCIDENT LAWYER
The Platta Law Firm will be your first-choice when looking for a superior Staten Island truck accident lawyer to help you in the aftermath of a collision. Accidents involving commercial trucks can be especially devastating because of the size and weight of these vehicles. You’ll need someone who understands the legal complexities of supporting your recovery when you’re the victim of a truck crash.
A Staten Island truck accident lawyer from our team will make all the difference in giving you the support you deserve. With our proven track record of securing the best results for our clients, The Platta Law Firm will be your greatest advocate during this challenging time.
Call us 212-514-5100 for a no-cost consultation, and take the first step toward getting back on track after your truck accident.
The Hazards of Sharing Staten Island Roadways with Commercial Trucks
A Staten Island truck accident lawyer from The Platta Law Firm is familiar with the unique dangers of sharing the road with commercial trucks and other large vehicles. According to the New York Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV), larger vehicles have much bigger blind spots that are found on all sides of the truck, tractor, or bus.
Additionally, these vehicles need much more room to change lanes, pass, turn, and back up. It also takes them much longer to stop. The DMV notes that in some instances big trucks can take up to 435 feet to stop, more than double what it takes for a regular passenger car.
With the New York City Police Department reporting hundreds of accidents involving commercial trucks, buses, and firetrucks, there is a good chance that many drivers will experience the misfortune of a driving incident with one of these vehicles. Here are a few tips that may help when sharing the road with these large vehicles:
- Don’t delay near a large truck that is making a turn. You may not be visible in the wide area needed for the truck to make this maneuver.
- When passing an oversized vehicle on Staten Island, make sure you leave the appropriate time and space to do so. Commercial trucks move more slowly on an uphill grade, and they gain speed on a downhill grade.
- If a large vehicle in front of you is backing up, do not pass. Wait for the vehicle to finish backing before proceeding as otherwise you are likely to enter one of the driver’s blind spots.
- Big trucks or buses can appear to move more slowly than they are actually traveling. Use this knowledge when passing and when merging into traffic on Staten Island.
- When you stop in back of a truck or bus at a traffic light or stop sign, leave space between you and the other vehicle. The truck or bus can move backward slightly when it starts.
Even when taking these precautions, truck accidents can still occur. Our Staten Island truck accident lawyers are here to help even when your careful driving hasn’t prevented a large vehicle from hurting you or your loved ones.
Types of Accidents Involving Trucks and Other Large Transportation Vehicles
Our Staten Island truck accident lawyers also have a robust understanding of the multiple types of accidents involving commercial transportation. Some of these accidents are unique to big rigs. Experienced personal injury attorneys from our firm have the ability to expertly navigate the legal ramifications of each type of incident:
- T-Bone Collisions
- Runaway Truck Accidents
- Jackknife Accidents
- Underride Accidents
- Cargo Spills
- Multi-Vehicle Pileups
- Rollover Accidents
- Head-On Collisions
- Tire Blowouts
- Blind Spot Accidents
Any of these accidents can lead to significant property damage, injuries, and even fatalities. The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) reports that fatal crashes involving large trucks and buses increased 31% between 2010 and 2020. Unfortunately, not all commercial vehicle drivers follow the necessary safety regulations or have the proper training that is critical for preventing these crashes. The Platta Law Firm always works diligently to hold at-fault parties accountable for their actions.
Common Causes of Truck Accidents on Staten Island
Truck accidents on Staten Island can result from numerous factors. Because our attorneys are keenly familiar to these multiple causes, they are able to conduct targeted investigations to accurately determine accident liability.
The Code of Federal Regulations places restrictions on truck drivers who are fatigued or ill. However, one of the leading causes of truck accidents is still driver fatigue.
Many operators of commercial trucks work irregular hours that lead to disrupted sleep. Additionally, drivers ignore required rest breaks to meet tight delivery deadlines. The result is poor judgment and slow reaction times on the road. Distracted driving also contributes to a significant number of truck collisions. In spite of additional regulations limiting commercial drivers’ use of mobile phones, texting and making phone calls continues to divert truck operators’ attention from safely managing their vehicles. Other primary reasons for Staten Island truck accidents are:
- Driving While Intoxicated: Commercial drivers operating their vehicles under the influence of alcohol, drugs, or prescription medications pose a significant danger to themselves and others.
- Insufficient Training: Inadequately trained truck drivers on Staten Island often cannot handle the unique tasks related to running large vehicles.
- Sloppy Maintenance: Ignoring regular vehicle maintenance results in mechanical failures like brake malfunctions and tire blowouts.
- Overloaded or Incorrectly Loaded Cargo: Cargo that is not secured or exceeds weight limits can shift during transit. This affects the stability and handling of the vehicle.
- Inadequate Safety Equipment: Lack of essential safety equipment such as blind-spot monitoring systems can negatively affect driving outcomes.
You can’t always rely on Staten Island truck drivers and trucking companies to follow the steps necessary to minimize accidents on the road. However, you can depend on a Staten Island truck accident lawyer from The Platta Law Firm to protect your rights when you’ve suffered an injury from a large vehicle collision.
Injuries Caused by Collisions with Large Vehicles
Injuries caused in truck crashes on Staten Island are often severe or life-threatening due to the dramatic difference in size and weight between a passenger car and a commercial truck, bus, or other large vehicle. Damage caused by large vehicle collisions can include:
- Traumatic Brain Injury
- Crushed Organs
- Collapsed Lungs
- Spinal Cord Injuries
- Amputated Limbs
- Fractured Bones
Emotional trauma is also a very real consequence of a truck collision, and some victims develop severe anxiety and depression and even post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).
It is crucial to consult with a knowledgeable Staten Island truck accident lawyer when experiencing any of these life-changing injuries. We can help you to understand your legal rights and options for obtaining compensation for medical expenses, pain and suffering, and other damages related to your injuries.
Helpful Medical Resources to Consider After a Staten Island Truck Accident
One of the most important things to do after being in a collision with a large truck is to address your health and safety, especially if you’ve been injured. Local Hospital Emergency Rooms on Staten Island include:
- Richmond University Medical Center Emergency Room
355 Bard Avenue, Staten Island
- Staten Island University Hospital Emergency Department- North Campus
475 Seaview Avenue, Staten Island
- Staten Island University Hospital South Campus Emergency Room – South Campus
375 Seguine Avenue, Staten Island
Having your injuries cared for by a competent medical facility will help put you on the road to recovery. Let one of our Staten Island truck accident lawyers be part of your recovery team by helping you with the complex legal issues that are sure to be part of the process.
How Our Staten Island Truck Accident Lawyers Will Help
Our team of experienced attorneys specialize in truck accident cases. We have a proven track record of successfully securing compensation for our clients, making sure they receive the financial award they deserve. We understand the devastation that follows a truck accident, and we will guide you through the legal process and fight for your rights. Trucking companies typically have considerable insurance policies. Facing these insurers can be difficult, as they often employ teams of adjusters and attorneys to minimize payouts.
Our Staten Island truck accident lawyers can negotiate with these insurance companies on your behalf to get you the money you deserve. Lastly, our truck accident legal experts have the means to collect important evidence such as accident reports, medical records, and witness statements. If your case goes to trial, our highly-skilled negotiators are prepared to represent you in court to make sure you receive a settlement that sufficiently covers your losses.
What to Expect From The Platta Law Firm
At The Platta Law Firm, our mission is to help you fully recover emotionally, physically, and legally after being impacted by a truck accident. Our compassionate Staten Island truck accident lawyers can promise you:
- Local Knowledge: Truck accident laws can be complex and can vary by jurisdiction. Our attorneys understand local laws, regulations, and traffic patterns specific to Staten Island.
- Accurately Determining Damages: Truck accidents can result in significant damages, including medical bills, property damage, lost wages, and pain and suffering. Our lawyers can accurately assess the value of your claim and help you pursue appropriate compensation.
- Avoiding Mistakes: We will help you avoid common mistakes that could hurt your claim, such as missing deadlines or making statements that could be used against you.
- Stress Reduction: Dealing with the repercussions of a Staten Island truck accident can be exceptionally stressful. Having one of our lawyers by your side to handle legal matters on your behalf will bring you relief.
Call Now to Speak with a Staten Island Truck Accident Lawyer
A truck accident can disrupt your life, but you can empower yourself to take action toward a meaningful recovery. Working with The Platta Law Firm offers you an opportunity for better financial outcomes, peace of mind, and an easier legal process. Get started by calling 212-514-5100 to speak with a dedicated Staten Island truck accident lawyer today.
Staten Island Neighborhoods We Serve
Annadale, Arden Heights, Arlington, Arrochar, Bay Terrace, Bloomfield, Brighton Heights, Bulls Head, Castleton Corners, Charleston, Chelsea, Clifton, Concord, Dongan Hills, Egbertville, Elm Park, Eltingville, Emerson Hill, Graniteville, Grant City, Grasmere, Great Kills, Greenridge, Grymes Hill, Hamilton Park, Heartland Village, Huguenot, Lighthouse Hill, Livingston, Manor Heights, Mariners Harbor, Meiers Corners, Midland Beach, New Brighton, New Dorp, New Springville, Oakwood, Old Place, Old Town, Pleasant Plains, Port Ivory, Port Richmond, Prince’s Bay, Randall Manor, Richmond Valley, Richmondtown, Rosebank, Rossville, Saint George, Sandy Ground, Shore Acres, Silver Lake, South Beach, Stapleton, Stapleton Heights, Sunnyside, Todt Hill, Tompkinsville, Tottenville, Tottenville Beach, Travis, West New Brighton, Westerleigh, Willowbrook, Woodrow.