STATEN ISLAND CAR ACCIDENT LAWYER
A Staten Island car accident lawyer is a must if you have been injured in an auto collision. It’s in your best interest to have a legal professional who is familiar with Staten Island’s many dangerous roadways.
Whether your injuries are physical or emotional, a Staten Island car accident lawyer from The Platta Law Firm will help you navigate the confusing laws and claim procedures you’ll be faced with after an accident. Call us at 212-514-5100 for a free consultation and we’ll support you in positively moving forward with your life.
A Staten Island Car Accident Lawyer Knows the Borough’s Crash Statistics
Our attorneys stay on top of NYPD statistics about the hazards of driving on Staten Island. Understanding the driving climate on Staten Island is critical to building a powerful legal case after an accident.
The borough had 5,165 car accidents in 2022, and one out of every two-to-three of those accidents resulted in injury. Additionally, last year Staten Island accounted for one-quarter of New York City’s traffic-crash related child fatalities. Not just limited to cars, other Staten Island collision statistics include 247 pedestrian accidents, 202 accidents involving trucks, 91 bicycle accidents, and 90 motorcycle crashes.
Navigating Staten Island’s Dangerous Roadways
Some roadways on Staten Island are more dangerous than others. The intersections listed below are known for higher rates of accidents throughout the borough:
- Hylan Boulevard and Richmond Avenue
- Hylan Boulevard and New Dorp Lane
- Hylan Boulevard and Narrows Road South
- Hylan Boulevard and Old Town Road
- Hylan Boulevard and Midland Avenue
- Victory Boulevard and Forest Avenue
- Victory Boulevard and Bay Street
- Richmond Avenue and Richmond Hills Road
- Richmond Avenue and Platinum Avenue
- Richmond Avenue and Forest Hill Road
- Clove Road and Victory Boulevard
- Henderson Avenue and Lafayette Avenue
- Allison Avenue and Clawson Street
Knowing the most dangerous intersections can be helpful in planning your route through Staten Island. Keep in mind that car accidents happen for many reasons and can occur anywhere at any time.
Top Causes of Car Accidents on Staten Island
Our lawyers have a deep understanding of the common causes of vehicle collisions on Staten Island and the losses they produce. The know that many car accidents in the borough are due to poor road design and lack of appropriate signage. Mechanical issues like brake failures and tire blowouts can also cause unwelcome driving incidents. Bad weather such as rain, snow, fog, and ice make roads less visible and less safe to drive on.
Auto accidents on Staten Island are also due to the inexperience and carelessness of other drivers. One of the leading causes of car collisions is distracted driving by people who are texting, talking on the phone, or eating while behind the wheel. These activities negatively impact a driver’s reaction times and ability to pay attention to the traffic around them. Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol can have a similar effect.
Finally, reckless driving that includes speeding, aggressive behavior like weaving in and out of traffic, and ignoring traffic signals all contribute to the frequency of car accidents on Staten Island.
If your Staten Island motor vehicle accident case goes to trial, we will be prepared to fight for you at the Richmond County Supreme Court. If you are missing documents, such as police reports, the following precincts are places where they may be available:
For medical documents, we have our paralegals working hard by communicating with Staten Island hospitals, such as:
- Richmond University Medical Center
- Staten Island University Hospital South Campus
- Staten Island University Hospital North Campus
As for better preparation in terms of road safety, here are some driving defense classes local to Staten Island:
- Island Driving School
816 Forest Avenue Staten Island, NY 10310
- South Shore Driving School
317 Sand Lane, 2nd Fl. Staten Island, NY 10305
- Lama Driving School
1761 Victory Blvd, Staten Island, NY 10314
- Alyaa Driving School
1376 Clove Road, Staten Island, NY, 10301
Steps to Take After a Car Accident
If you’re involved in a car accident, it’s important to stay calm and take specific action to ensure your safety and to protect your legal rights. Below you’ll find a list of steps to take after a car accident.
- Make Sure Everyone is Okay: First, make sure you and your passengers are okay. If anyone is injured, call for medical assistance immediately.
- Move to a Safe Area: If the accident is minor and your vehicles are obstructing traffic, try to move them to the side of the road to avoid further collisions.
- Call the Police: It’s a good idea to call the NYPD. They can create an official accident report, which can be important for insurance claims and legal proceedings.
- Get Driver Information: Exchange information with the other driver(s) involved, including names, contact details, driver’s license numbers, license plate numbers, and insurance information.
- Collect Evidence: If it’s safe to do so, take photos and video of the accident scene, including vehicle damage, road conditions, traffic signs, and any visible injuries.
- Get Witness Information: If there were any witnesses to the accident, collect their contact information.
- Limit Communication: Be careful about what you say to the other driver(s) and witnesses. Avoid admitting fault, as the full circumstances of the accident may not be clear yet. And never tell anyone that you’re not hurt, as the shock of being in an accident may make you not realize the extent of your injuries.
- Contact Your Insurance Company: Contact your insurance company as soon as possible to report the accident and start the claims process.
- Seek Medical Attention: Even if you don’t feel injured immediately, it’s a good idea to get a medical evaluation. Some injuries might not be immediately obvious.
- Document the Aftermath of the Accident: Keep track of your medical treatment and expenses related to the accident. These records will be useful for insurance claims and potential legal actions.
- Report the Accident to the DMV: Depending on your location and the severity of the accident, you might need to report it to the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) within a certain timeframe.
- Take to an Attorney: A Staten Island car accident lawyer, like those at The Platta Law Firm, can provide legal advice and help protect your rights.
Common Car Accident Claims
Car accident claims encompass a wide range of situations, injuries, and damages.
Fighting for a fair settlement for damages after a car accident can be challenging, especially when you’re faced with aggressive insurance tactics.
Our Staten Island car accident lawyers are extremely familiar with the various types of claims, and they can guide you through the process and help you understand your legal options. Here are some common types of car accident claims:
- Personal Injury Claims: Filed when you have sustained injuries in a car accident due to another driver’s negligence. Common injuries include whiplash, broken bones, concussions, back injuries, and more.
- Property Damage Claims: If your vehicle was damaged in the accident, you can file a property damage claim to seek compensation for repairs or replacement of your vehicle.
- Pain and Suffering Claims: Beyond financial losses, you might also seek compensation for physical pain, emotional distress, and worse quality of life resulting from the accident.
- Multi-Vehicle Accident Claims: In accidents involving multiple vehicles, like pile-up accidents, may involve several parties and require extensive investigation to determine fault and compensation.
- Drunk Driving Claims: If the at-fault driver was under the influence of alcohol or drugs at the time of the accident, victims can pursue claims for compensation with the potential for punitive damages.
- Hit and Run Claims: If the at-fault driver flees the scene of the accident, victims can still potentially seek compensation through their own insurance policies or other legal avenues.
- Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Claims: If the at-fault driver is uninsured or doesn’t have enough insurance coverage to fully compensate you, you might be able to file a claim with your own insurance company under your uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage.
- Wrongful Death Claims: Surviving family members of a car accident fatality can file a wrongful death claim against the at-fault driver for compensation for their loss.
- Lost Wage Claims: If injuries from the accident prevent you from working and earning income, you can file a claim to seek compensation for lost wages.
- Medical Expense Claims: These claims aim to recover these costs of medical treatments, surgeries, hospital stays, and rehabilitation.
Superior Legal Support for Your Car Accident Case
Even if you pick the safest routes while driving on Staten Island, accidents can still occur. Hiring a good car accident lawyer can be helpful for a number of reasons. There are many significant ways you can benefit from qualified legal support after a car collision.
A Staten Island car accident lawyer, like those at The Platta Law Firm, can assess the specifics of your case and provide an honest evaluation of its strengths and weaknesses.
This can help you make informed decisions about how to proceed. Additionally, our car accident legal specialists have the resources to gather important evidence for your case, such as accident reports, medical records and witness statements. Our experienced car accident lawyers are also skilled negotiators who can negotiate with insurance companies on your behalf to make sure you receive a settlement that adequately covers your losses. Car insurance policies can be unclear with various coverages and limitations. Our lawyers can review your policy and navigate any potential issues with your insurance company.
The Mission of Our Staten Island Car Accident Lawyers
At The Platta Law Firm, our top priority is to make a meaningful difference in your ability to recover legally, emotionally, and physically after a car accident. Our lawyers provide first-rate legal expertise, support, and advocacy to help you through the challenges of the legal process so you can focus on your recovery. Our commitment to you is:
- Local Knowledge and Legal Expertise: Car accident laws can be complex and vary by jurisdiction. Our lawyers have a deep understanding of local laws, regulations, and traffic patterns specific to the area and legal procedures which can be valuable in building a strong case.
- Fighting for Fair Compensation: Insurance companies might try to minimize their payouts or deny claims. Our lawyers will fight for your right to receive the compensation you deserve, rather than accepting a low settlement offer.
- Side-stepping Mistakes: We will help you avoid common mistakes that could harm your case, such as missing deadlines or making statements that could be used against you.
- Significantly Reducing Stress: Dealing with the aftermath of a car accident can be extremely stressful. Having one of our lawyers by your side to handle legal matters on your behalf will bring you relief.
- Outstanding Trial Representation: If your case goes to trial, our highly skilled lawyers can represent you effectively in court, presenting evidence, arguing your case, and seeking a favorable outcome.
Call Now for a FREE Consultation
A car accident can be upsetting and disruptive, but you don’t have to face it alone. Working with The Platta Law Firm offers you an opportunity for improved outcomes, peace of mind, and a smoother legal process.
Call us at 212-514-5100, and we’ll connect you with a dedicated Staten Island car accident lawyer who will guide you every step of the way.
Staten Island Neighborhoods We Serve
Annadale, Arden Heights, Arlington, Arrochar, Bay Terrace, Bloomfield, Brighton Heights, Bulls Head, Castleton Corners, Charleston, Chelsea, Clifton, Concord, Dongan Hills, Egbertville, Elm Park, Eltingville, Emerson Hill, Graniteville, Grant City, Grasmere, Great Kills, Greenridge, Grymes Hill, Hamilton Park, Heartland Village, Huguenot, Lighthouse Hill, Livingston, Manor Heights, Mariners Harbor, Meiers Corners, Midland Beach, New Brighton, New Dorp, New Springville, Oakwood, Old Place, Old Town, Pleasant Plains, Port Ivory, Port Richmond, Prince’s Bay, Randall Manor, Richmond Valley, Richmondtown, Rosebank, Rossville, Saint George, Sandy Ground, Shore Acres, Silver Lake, South Beach, Stapleton, Stapleton Heights, Sunnyside, Todt Hill, Tompkinsville, Tottenville, Tottenville Beach, Travis, West New Brighton, Westerleigh, Willowbrook, Woodrow.