Westchester County Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
Why face your accident alone when an experienced Westchester County motorcycle accident lawyer can guide you through the complex and confusing laws related to your case? The Platta Law Firm can make a big difference in supporting your financial and physical recovery after a motorbike crash.
No matter how traumatic your injuries, a Westchester County motorcycle accident lawyer from our firm has what it takes to win the compensation you deserve. Our award-winning team of attorneys won’t let up for a second when it comes to fighting for your rights. We are ready to lead you confidently through the legal process and help you get your life back to normal.
Call us today at 212-514-5100 for a no-cost, no obligation consultation about your accident. Let’s see how much your case is worth.
Westchester County Motorcycle Accident Lawyers Understand the Dangers of the Road
At The Platta Law Firm, we know that driving a motorcycle in Westchester County can be particularly risky. With its mix of rural and densely populated areas, riders encounter a wide range of road types, from peaceful scenic byways to busy city streets. Both of these environments come with unique challenges. For example, riders can encounter animals unexpectedly crossing the rural roads. Mountain routes are full of twists and turns that require riders to maintain increased awareness and engage in defensive riding techniques.
Heavy traffic congestion in urban areas and commuting during rush hours can bring about close encounters with cars, trucks, and commercial transportation. The significantly larger size of these vehicles leaves motorcycles and their riders especially vulnerable in a collision. If you’ve been hurt when riding your motorcycle in Westchester County, we are here to come to your assistance. A personal injury lawyer from our firm is standing by to spring into action on your behalf. Your claim may be worth a significant amount that will make all the difference in your recovery from the ordeal of your motorcycle accident.
The Statistics Don’t Lie – Motorcycle Fatalities Are on the Rise
We stay on top of the most recent motorcycle accident statistics to help build a strong case in your defense. According to a recent Forbes report, almost 6,000 motorcycle riders were killed in fatal traffic accidents nationwide. Local data from the Institute for Traffic Safety Management & Research (ITSMR) revealed that motorcycle crashes in New York have increased almost 30% in recent years.
Additionally, NY motorcycle crashes resulting in death have increased over 52% from 2019 to 2021.
Approximately 61% of motorcycle deaths happen in urban areas, with most deaths occurring at intersections rather than on the highway. While both men and women are injured and killed riding motorcycles, men seem to have more motorcycle accidents than women. Overall, there are more male motorcyclists on the road, and they seem to engage in riskier riding behaviors while riding larger and more powerful bikes. No matter who you are, our mission is to take on even the toughest Westchester County motorcycle accident claims and recover the biggest cash award possible. We’re going to handle every aspect of your case, working hard to reduce the devastation that your accident has left behind.
How Westchester County Motorcycle Accidents Happen
Environmental hazards, the skill of the rider, and even the motorcycle itself can all contribute to the potential for accidents. Here are some key reasons that motorcycle accidents occur:
- Defective Equipment: Flaws in motorcycle parts and mechanical problems with brakes, tires, and other critical systems can contribute to serious mishaps on the road.
- Lane Splitting: Lane splitting is when motorcycles pass through traffic by riding in the space between cars. It is illegal in New York, but it is still a common cause of accidents involving motorcycles.
- Left-Turning Vehicles: Cars making a left turn in front of an oncoming motorcycle sometimes underestimate the motorcycle’s speed or don’t see it.
- Bad Road Conditions: Dangerous Westchester County road conditions such as cracks, holes, debris, and slick surfaces present considerable risks to motorcyclists.
- Speeding: Riding a motorcycle at extreme speeds diminishes riders’ reaction times and their ability to operate their bikes safely.
- Distracted Driving: Car and truck drivers who are texting, talking on their phones, eating, or fiddling with controls can fail to notice motorcycles.
- Riding Under the Influence: Drugs and alcohol negatively affects a rider’s judgment, reaction time, and coordination.
- Adverse Weather: Conditions like rain, snow, ice, and fog reduce visibility and make road surfaces treacherous.
While motorcycle collisions in Westchester County represent a smaller percentage of total traffic incidents, these crashes have a much higher rate of injury. We’ll look at your case from every angle to determine the unique circumstances that contributed to your accident. From there, we’ll develop a targeted strategy to build a powerful claim. We have over 150 years of combined legal experience that we’ll use to get the best possible results in support of your recovery.
Common Motorcycle Accident Injuries
Motorcycle accidents in Westchester County can result in a wide variety of injuries, some of which can be severe and life-threatening due to the relative lack of protection that motorcycles offer. Riders in motorcycle accidents can be thrown from the bike, suffer trapped arms and legs, or even get injured by the motorcycle’s tire spokes or fuel tank. Typical motorcycle collision injuries can include:
- Head Injuries: Traumatic brain injuries (TBI) are a huge concern in motorcycle accidents. While wearing a helmet can decrease the risk for this type of harm, concussions and other head wounds can still occur.
- Broken Bones: Riders in Westchester County motorcycle crashes often experience fractures to ribs, arms, legs, and wrists.
- Road Rash: When a rider’s body slides along the road, the harsh friction can cause painful and severe abrasions known as road rash.
- Spinal Cord Injuries: Damage to the spinal cord can cause paralysis or long-term disability.
- Internal Injuries: Severe impact, such as when you’re thrown from the bike, can cause organ damage or internal bleeding.
- Burn Injuries: Motorcyclists can be at risk of burn injuries if the bike catches fire after a crash.
Often, a motorcycle accident will cause multiple injuries. Whether you’ve experienced one or several of these injuries, we want to make sure you are fully compensated for your medical needs now and in the future. It will be important for you to get a full medical assessment, as sometimes symptoms don’t appear right away.
Our Westchester County motorcycle accident attorneys have the advantage of working with a wide network of medical professionals. These pros will provide expert testimony to shed light on the full extent of your trauma. We’ll use this testimony and insight to build the strongest case possible in support of your recovery.
Motorcycle Safety Tips for Westchester County
Riding a motorcycle safely in Westchester County requires a combination of proper training, focus, and the use of protective gear. Here are some essential tips that can help keep you safe on the road:
- Wear Protective Gear:
- Wear a DOT-approved helmet to protect your head—it’s the law in the state of New York.
- Wear sturdy boots, gloves, thick pants, and a jacket made of tough, abrasion-resistant material.
- Wear reflective or brightly-colored clothing to increase visibility, especially at night.
- Maintain Your Bike:
- Regularly check your motorcycles lights, brakes, tires, and other mechanical systems before each ride.
- Ride Defensively:
- Stay out of blind spots. Ride where you can be clearly seen by other drivers.
- Maintain a safe following distance.
- Use appropriate riding techniques for turns, lane changes, and braking.
- Consider enrolling in a certified motorcycle safety course to learn fundamental riding skills, safety techniques, and defensive riding strategies.
- Adjust for Bad Weather:
- When rough weather hits Westchester County, use extra care while riding. Wet roads and reduced visibility will require you to adjust your speed and following distance.
Even when taking all of these safety measures to make your ride safe, disaster can still strike. Our legal team is ready to act swiftly when it does.
The Platta Law Firm Can Help
Choosing the best attorney to represent you after a Westchester County motorcycle accident is an important decision that can seriously affect the outcome of your case. At The Platta Law Firm, we see it as our duty to work tirelessly to secure the largest payout possible. With our solid understanding of the complexities surrounding motorcycle accident claims, we can help you navigate the difficult legal maze connected to your claim.
You deserve to be richly compensated for your medical bills, lost wages, property loss, pain and suffering, and emotional distress. We’re here to make that happen.
We have a proven track record of successfully representing countless motorcycle accident and other personal injury victims, winning huge settlements and positive verdicts. We don’t accept subpar offers from insurance companies and at-fault parties who are trying to lowball the amount you’re owed. If we need to take your case to court, we will. Our top-notch litigators are ready to go to battle on your behalf.
Finally, we’re committed to treating you with compassion and sensitivity. What you’re going through is hard—we’ll take the time to listen to how your accident has impacted your life. If you’ve been involved in a Westchester County motorcycle crash, we’re here to support you and your loved ones. Contact The Platta Law Firm at 212-514-5100 today, and set up a free consultation with a Westchester County motorcycle accident lawyer from our dedicated team.
WESTCHESTER NEIGHBORHOODS WE SERVE