Westchester County Bicycle
The dedicated support of a Westchester County bicycle accident lawyer will make a huge difference when you’ve been in a cycling accident. With more people using their bikes for transportation and recreation, mishaps are bound to happen. The Platta Law Firm will help you cope with the disruptive aftermath of your cycling collision. We’ll guide you through the legal steps necessary to pursue justice for your injuries.
You’ll want to choose the best Westchester County bicycle accident lawyer so you can get the biggest possible cash payout for your suffering.
Our award-winning attorneys are committed to holding the responsible parties accountable for their actions so that your medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering costs are covered. Let us begin supporting you today. Call The Platta Law Firm now for a free, no-obligation consultation about your bicycle accident.
Your Westchester County Bicycle Accident Lawyer Understands the Statistics
When you work with a Westchester County bicycle accident lawyer from The Platta Law Firm, you’ll find that they’re well-versed in state and local laws that apply to cycling accidents. They also stay on top of the statistics related to these occurrences. For example, a report by The National Safety Council (NSC) indicates that the number of preventable bicycle deaths has increased 44% in the past 10 years. Even the nonfatal biking accident numbers are high — in 2020, over 300,000 nonfatal cycling injuries occurred nationwide. Statistics also show that cycling mishaps happen in urban, suburban, and rural areas, making no part of Westchester County immune to bicycle accidents.
Cycling deaths increase in the warmer spring and summer months, with many fatalities taking place in August and the least in January/February. It doesn’t seem to matter what time of day it is, as biking deaths are evenly divided between daylight and evening hours.
Given our familiarity with the possibility of bicycle accidents throughout Westchester County, The Platta Law Firm is well-prepared to help you. With over 150 years of combined experience, our team unfailingly delivers successful results for our clients who have suffered cycling injuries.
How do Westchester County Biking Accidents Happen?
Every Westchester County bicycle accident is unique, and our lawyers have the depth of experience necessary for responding to your individual circumstances. We will tailor our approach to your unique case. Our thorough investigation regarding the circumstances of your accident will allow us to seek maximum compensation for your injuries. Common ways in which Westchester County bicycle accidents occur are:
- Sideswiping: Not enough room between a vehicle and a bicycle can lead to sideswiping accidents and to cyclists being forced off the road.
- Bad Road Conditions: Uneven street surfaces, cracks and holes, and lack of defined bike lanes can cause cyclists to lose control or crash.
- Rear-End Collisions: Cyclists can be rear-ended by motor vehicles when they stop or slow down.
- Intersection Crashes: Drivers at Westchester County intersections can run red lights or stop signs, fail to yield the right of way to cyclists, or turn into the path of an oncoming bicycle.
- Dooring: This is a specific type of collision that happens when a person in a parked car opens their door directly into the path of an oncoming cyclist.
- Distracted Driving: Drivers who text, make phone calls, eat, or perform other distracted behaviors are less likely to notice a bike rider on the road.
- Poor Visibility: Compromised visibility because of low light conditions at dawn, dusk, or at night can make it much harder for both drivers and cyclists to see each other.
- Impaired Cyclists: Cyclists who ride under the influence of alcohol or drugs might not use the best judgment while operating their bicycles.
Whatever the reason for your bicycle crash, we are ready to fight for your rights. What’s most important to us is that you are awarded the resources you’ll need to fully recover from the incident.
Ways You Can Become Injured in a Bike Accident
No matter how minor or severe your Westchester County bicycle accident may seem, you’ll need a full medical assessment by a qualified healthcare professional. Sometimes the full extent of your injuries may not be immediately obvious. The Consumer Product Safety Commission reported over a half-million emergency department-treated injuries associated with bicycles accidents. A wide variety of injuries were seen during these visits, such as:
- Head Injuries: Cyclists are often thrown from their bikes as a result of a collision. When their heads hit the road or other hard surfaces, concussions and traumatic brain injuries (TBIs) can be the result.
- Broken Bones and Dislocations: Arms, legs, wrists, ankles, and ribs are some of the bones that can be dislocated or fractured in a biking accident.
- Spinal Cord Injuries: The spine is especially vulnerable in any kind of collision. Cracked vertebrae, damaged spinal cords, and even paralysis can occur.
- Cuts, Scrapes, and Bruises: Harsh road surfaces, force of impact, and being caught in the bicycle itself can lead to lacerations, bruises, and sometimes puncture wounds.
- Dental Damage: Falling from a bicycle can cause chipped or cracked teeth; in severe instances teeth can become completely dislodged.
- Internal Injuries: High-impact bicycle accidents can cause internal injuries, such as organ damage, internal bleeding, or chest injuries.
One of the advantages of choosing The Platta Law Firm is that we partner with top-notch medical experts who can provide insight into the physical and emotional trauma you have sustained. We can use their testimony to strengthen your legal claim so that your compensation will cover your health costs now and in the future.
Where to Go if You’ve Been Hurt in a Westchester County Bicycle Crash
Riding a bicycle in Westchester County can be a great recreational activity, or it can be an efficient way to get to work. However, you’ll want to be aware of necessary medical resources if you have an accident. If you need to visit an emergency room, here are a few resources that can help:
- New York Presbyterian Westchester Emergency Department
55 Palmer Ave.
Bronxville, NY 10708
- White Plains Hospital
41 E Post Rd.
White Plains, NY 10601
- Northern Westchester Hospital Emergency Room
400 Main St.
Mt. Kisco, NY 10549
Be sure to get the care you need when you’ve been injured. Additionally, call us so that we can help you file a claim that will cover emergency room costs, doctor bills, and any rehabilitation expenses that are necessary for you to heal.
Westchester County Bicycle Repair Resources
Once you’ve returned to health, you’ll need to get your bicycle repaired. These local bike repair shops can get you back on the road:
- Bicycle World NY
7 E Main St.
Mount Kisco, NY
- County Cycle Center
970 McLean Ave.
- Endless Trail Bikeworx
56 Main St.
Dobbs Ferry, NY
Property damage—such as any harm that has come to your bicycle—can also be covered in a legal claim. The Platta Law Firm will leave no stone unturned when it comes to seeking full monetary reparation for the damages you’ve suffered.
Staying Safe on Westchester County Roads
Following safety measures and bicycle laws in Westchester County can help to minimize the chance of accidents and injuries. Guidelines on safe cycling gear and bicycle traffic rules is published by the New York State Department of Transportation (NYDOT). To help keep our young cyclists safe, the NYDOT website publishes additional tips targeted toward bike-riding safety measures for kids. Consider these guidelines before setting out on a cycling trip:
- Make Sure Your Bike Is in Working Order: Check your bicycle for maintenance issues, such as tire pressure, brakes, and chain function.
- Wear a Helmet: To reduce the risk of head injuries in a collision, a properly fitted bicycle helmet is essential. All bicyclists under the age of 14 are required to wear helmets throughout New York State.
- Obey Traffic Rules: Traffic rules apply to cyclists, too, and failing to follow them can result in a ticket. Stop at stop signs, ride in the same direction as vehicle traffic, use hand signals when turning, and use bike lanes if available.
In spite of sticking to these safety guidelines, accidents can still occur. If they do, reach out to the team at The Platta Law Firm. We’re ready to help if accidents strikes.
The Benefits of a Qualified Westchester County Bicycle Accident Lawyer
A bike accident can turn your life upside down. Finding solid legal representation will be crucial. We’re confident that working with the team at The Platta Law Firm is your best move if you’re looking for a skilled Westchester County bicycle accident lawyer. We’ll determine who is at fault, we’ll conduct a thorough assessment of all of your damages, and we’ll develop a detailed legal strategy on your behalf. Interviewing witnesses, gathering critical evidence, and bringing in accident reconstruction experts will help us to build a strong case.
When putting together your claim, we won’t stop at just medical bills. We’ll include lost wages, pain and suffering, and any negative impact your accident has had on your family or other relationships. We know what it takes to go after the biggest possible financial payout for our clients.
If a compensation agreement cannot be reached, we will go to court to fight for you. Our attorneys are fierce litigators, and our expertise and know-how in the courtroom can dramatically improve your chances of success in securing the maximum amount for your claim.
The Platta Law Firm’s Commitment to You
We are well aware of the negative financial, emotional, and physical impact your bicycle accident has had. Beyond acting as your committed legal representation, we will provide you with compassion and empathy during a difficult chapter of your life. We do this by providing:
- No Upfront Costs: We work on a contingency fee basis. You owe us nothing unless we win your case.
- Protection: We’ll run interference between you and other parties involved. We know that insurance companies often attempt to lowball victims of bicycle accidents with unfair settlements. That won’t happen on our watch.
- Reduced Stress: We can ease your stress by managing tiresome details like completion of legal paperwork and meeting deadlines. We want you to focus on your recovery.
- More Efficient Resolution: With our help, your case can move more efficiently toward completion. We’ll handle the complicated details of your claim as we strategize for the most desirable outcome.
Whatever type of trauma you have suffered because of your accident, our attorneys will work diligently to make sure you are justly compensated. Contact us today at 212-514-5100 to speak with a Westchester County bicycle accident lawyer who will passionately advocate for justice on your behalf.
Westchester Neighborhoods We Serve