Westchester County Car Accident Lawyer
The Platta Law Firm is the best place to find a Westchester County car accident lawyer who combines legal expertise with compassionate advocacy. After a car accident, navigating the confusing landscape of insurance claims, medical bills, and legal proceedings can be overwhelming. Our attorneys are dedicated to providing you with guidance, support, and the very best representation after your auto accident.
A Westchester County car accident lawyer from The Platta Law Firm will work to ensure that you receive the justice and compensation you rightfully deserve.
Call 212-514-5100 for a free consultation and take the first step toward getting the support you need.
A Westchester County Car Accident Lawyer Understands the Dangerous Driving Environment
Attorneys at The Platta Law Firm stay on top of key statistics to understand Westchester County’s dangerous driving climate. Our lawyers are aware that auto collisions are a leading cause of injury-related hospitalizations in Westchester County. According to the New York Department of Health, the average hospital stay after a non-fatal injury due to a car accident is seven days.
Motor vehicle traffic injuries are also one of the leading causes of injury-related deaths in Westchester County. Additionally, car accidents account for many of the emergency room visits in the county, with thousands of people being treated in emergency rooms each year.
Automobile collisions in Westchester County not only cause death, pain, and suffering, they create a huge financial burden to the county. Millions of dollars in hospital charges are billed every year due to these incidents.
Which Westchester County Roadways are Most Treacherous?
Some areas of Westchester County are more treacherous than others. Intersections without stop lights as well as areas with heavy stop-and-go traffic are responsible for frequent car accidents. Business centers, shopping malls, and other high-traffic areas can also invite unwelcome dangers.
Rush hour between 5pm and 6pm is one of the riskiest times to drive in Westchester County.
These Westchester County roads and intersections are among the most dangerous:
- Taconic State Parkway
- Saw Mill River Parkway
- Cross Country Parkway
- Commerce and Elmwood Avenue
- Elmwood Avenue and Route 141
- Route 6
- Route 9A
- Route 9A and North State Road
- Route 22 and Cross Westchester Expressway
- Route 202 and Route 35
- Maple Avenue and Bloomingdale Road
In particular, Taconic State Parkway is well-known for serious car accidents. Not only is it recognized as the deadliest road in New York, it is considered the 7th deadliest road in America.
Factors that Influence How Car Accidents Occur
Our Westchester County car accident lawyers are familiar with the many factors that contribute to auto collisions in the region. Talking on the phone, texting, and other kinds of distracted driving are a leading cause of vehicle accidents. Similarly, congestion during peak hours and sudden lane changes increase the likelihood of rear-end collisions and fender benders.
Extreme weather conditions in Westchester County pose additional driving hazards. Snow and rain contribute to slippery roads and reduced visibility. Hills and winding roads in the area also make it harder to maintain control behind the wheel. Other dangerous road conditions can include potholes, uneven surfaces, lack of signage, and badly designed roads.
Reckless driving like speeding, tailgating, driving under the influence, weaving in and out of traffic, and running red lights also increase the likelihood of accidents. Finally, car collisions can happen because of mechanical issues. Brake failures, tire blowouts, and steering malfunctions can lead to loss of control and other driving mishaps.
There are plenty of locations in Westchester to help you in the event that you’re in a car accident. If an ambulance picks you up, you’re most likely to end up in one of the following hospitals:
- White Plains Hospital Center
- Saint John’s Riverside Hospital
- Westchester Medical Center
- New York-Presbyterian Hospital/Westchester Division
If you are missing a police report, be sure to visit one of Westchester’s police precincts.
As for avoiding an accident, there are never any guarantees. However, signing up an inexperienced driver for classes, like a young family member, is never a bad idea. Here are some local driving defense schools that could provide some added peace of mind:
- Adrian’s Driving School
25 East Main Street, 2nd floor, Mount Kisco, NY 10549
- New Millenium Driving School, Inc.
577 Main St, New Rochelle, NY 10801
- Formula Driving School
584 Mamaroneck Ave, Mamaroneck, NY 10543
- Golden Crown Driving School
185 Chatterton Ave, White Plains, NY 10606
Critical Steps to Take After a Westchester County Car Accident
If you’ve been involved in a car accident in Westchester County, it’s critical to follow certain steps to protect your safety and well-being. Here’s what to do after an auto collision:
- Make Sure You’re Safe and Call for Help: Check to see if you or others in your vehicle have been injured. If anyone is seriously hurt, call 911 immediately. If it’s safe to do so, move your vehicle to the side of the road to prevent further accidents.
- Seek Medical Attention Even for Minor Injuries: You might not think you or your passengers are seriously hurt, but still seek medical attention. Some injuries might not show up immediately and could become worse over time. Don’t tell anyone at the scene that you’re not injured, as you may be in a state of shock and have not yet realized what has happened to you.
- Document the Scene: Take photos and videos of the accident scene, including the positions of the vehicles, damages, road conditions, and any significant road signs or signals. These photos and videos can provide important evidence later.
- Call the Police: Even if the accident seems minor, it’s a good idea to report it to the police. They can create an official accident report, which can be important for insurance claims and legal proceedings.
- Exchange Information: Exchange contact, insurance, and vehicle information with the other driver(s) involved. Get names, phone numbers, license plate numbers, insurance company information, and policy numbers. If there are witnesses, collect their contact information as well.
- Notify Your Insurance Company: Report the accident to your insurance company as soon as possible, giving them detailed information about the incident.
- Don’t Admit Fault: Avoid admitting fault at the scene of the accident, as determining fault can be complicated. Leave that determination to your legal representation and your insurance company.
- Consult an Attorney: A Westchester County car accident lawyer will provide critical support, especially if your accident results in significant damage, injuries, or disagreements about fault.
The guidelines listed above are a good place to start when you’ve been in a car accident. Always prioritize safety, and be assured that an attorney from The Platta Law Firm will know your rights and the potential legal actions to take.
Types of Car Accident Injuries
A wide range of health-related injuries are possible after a car accident. Some of these injuries will show up immediately, while others might develop over time. One of the most common injuries that happens in auto crashes is whiplash. This type of injury can result in symptoms like neck pain, headaches, stiffness, and shoulder or back distress. While some think of whiplash as a minor injury, it can have long-lasting effects if not treated correctly.
Another traumatic injury resulting from car accidents is broken bones. This type of injury can affect any part of the body and can range from minor fractures to more extreme breaks. Broken bones usually require immediate medical attention and can lead to intense pain, limited movement, and the need for surgery.
Finally, car accidents can result in concussions and traumatic brain injuries (TBIs). Even with the protection of seatbelts and airbags, the impact from a collision can result in a TBI. Traumatic brain injuries cause dizziness, memory problems, trouble thinking clearly, and emotional changes. In Westchester County, car accident related TBIs have affected drivers and passengers of all ages.
What Kind of Damages Can I Claim?
Each car accident claim is unique, and the type of claim you can pursue depends on the type of accident you’ve suffered. The ultimate goal of a car accident claim is to provide you with the greatest compensation for your emotional, physical, and financial harm. Some common car accident claims include:
- Personal Injury
- Medical Bills
- Property Damage
- Pain and Suffering
- Wrongful Death
- Uninsured Motorist
- Lost Wages and income
Consulting with an experienced Westchester County car accident lawyer from The Platta Law Firm will help you understand the appropriate type of claim to file. And, our attorneys will make sure you don’t settle for less compensation than you deserve.
Getting Legal Support After an Auto Collision
Legal support after an auto collision in Westchester County is essential. It helps protect your rights, ensures fair compensation, and assists you in navigating difficult legal and insurance matters. Here are some of the specific ways in which an experienced Westchester County car accident lawyer can help you after your accident:
- Understanding Your Rights: Car accident laws are tricky. A knowledgeable attorney at The Platta Law Firm can explain your rights and help you understand the legal implications of the accident. This empowers you to make informed decisions about how to proceed.
- Determining Liability: Determining fault in a car accident is not always simple. A skilled attorney can investigate the accident, gather evidence, and work with experts to accurately establish liability.
- Navigating the Legal Process: Filing a claim, dealing with paperwork, and understanding the legal procedures can be overwhelming, especially if you’re recovering from injuries. A car accident lawyer can ensure that deadlines are met and all necessary documentation is filed correctly.
- Dealing with Insurance Companies: Insurance companies may try to minimize payouts, such as offering quick settlements or pressuring you to admit fault. Our Westchester County car accident lawyers will communicate with the insurance company on your behalf, protecting you from making statements that could harm your case.
- Proving Damages: To receive compensation, you need to provide evidence of your injuries, damages, and losses. Our car accident lawyers have experience in collecting and presenting evidence such as medical records, expert opinions, and accident reconstruction reports to build a powerful case for your claim.
Without legal representation for an automobile collision in Westchester County, it can be easy to make mistakes when facing complicated legal matters. Legal support after an auto collision will help you achieve the best possible outcome.
The Advantages of a Westchester County Car Accident Lawyer from The Platta Law Firm
The car accident attorneys at The Platta Law Firm offer several valuable advantages that will greatly benefit you after a car collision. We prioritize your needs and offer personalized attention and expert guidance from start to finish. Our lawyers have local expertise and a deep knowledge of Westchester County’s specific laws, regulations, and local court procedures. Our legal know-how allows us to develop effective strategies for your specific situation.
Furthermore, you’ll experience our attorneys’ fierce negotiation skills. We fight to maximize compensation for your medical expenses, pain and suffering, property damage, and lost wages. If your case goes to court, we’ll advocate for your rights in front of a judge and jury.
Ultimately, we offer you peace of mind. Dealing with the consequences of a car accident is traumatic, especially if you’ve suffered injuries. Having one of our skilled attorneys by your side can provide meaningful relief from the worries of your accident, allowing you to focus on your recovery.
A no-cost claim evaluation is only a phone call away. Call 212-514-5100 to speak with a Westchester County car accident lawyer at The Platta Law Firm to begin the process of moving forward from the impact of your accident.