LONG ISLAND TRUCK ACCIDENT LAWYER
If you’ve been involved in a truck accident, you’ll want an experienced Long Island truck accident lawyer with a winning track record in your corner. You may have the right to receive compensation to cover the cost of pain and suffering, lost wages, and medical bills.
At The Platta Law Firm, our Long Island truck accident lawyers will fight to get the maximum cash award you need and deserve for your injuries. We understand the legal complexities of supporting your recovery when you’re the victim of a truck crash on Long Island.
We’ve secured hundreds of millions of dollars in settlements and verdicts for countless clients. Call us 212-514-5100 for a FREE consultation after your Long Island truck accident to find out how much your case may be worth.
How Can a Long Island Truck Accident Lawyer Help Me Get Maximum Compensation?
Due to their size and weight, truck accidents can be especially destructive. When an automobile and a big rig collide, it’s often those in the smaller vehicle that suffer the brunt of the damage. If you’ve been injured in a truck accident on Long Island, you may be able to receive compensation not only from the truck driver, but also from the trucking company and/or negligent third party.
However, complex state and federal truck laws often apply to collisions involving large commercial vehicles. As a result, securing a monetary award for your injuries can prove challenging. Determining causation and liability often requires time-consuming and costly legal investigations.
Hiring a knowledgeable truck accident lawyer from The Platta Law Firm can give you peace of mind and put you in the best position to recover maximum compensation. Our attorneys will fight for you every step of the way and will handle all aspects of your truck accident case. You can have the utmost confidence knowing that we will:
- Methodically investigate your Long Island truck accident to determine both the cause and who is at fault.
- Prepare and submit all legal claims and supporting documentation on your behalf.
- Consult with trucking industry professionals, accident reconstructionists, forensic specialists, and other expert witnesses to best determine what your Long Island truck accident injury claim is worth.
- Gather valuable evidence regarding inspection and maintenance reports, truck dashcam footage, property damage, company hiring and training policies, and black box data.
- Locate and interview witnesses and parties with relevant information about your Long Island truck accident.
- Hold insurance companies accountable for harm caused by their clients.
- Seek maximum compensation from all liable parties.
- Represent you at trial if the trucking company or its insurer refuses to negotiate fairly.
When it comes to truck accidents on Long Island, our commitment and dedication to our clients have earned our law firm some of the most prestigious awards in the legal community.
Common Types of Accidents Involving Semi-Trucks
Our Long Island truck accident lawyers also have a strong understanding of the multiple types of accidents involving commercial transportation. Some of these occurrences are unique to big rigs, and include:
- T-bone collisions
- Runaway truck accidents
- Jackknife accidents
- Underride accidents
- Cargo spills
- Multi-vehicle pileups
- Rollover accidents
- Head-on collisions
- Tire blowouts
- Blind spot accidents
While many truck drivers adhere to safety regulations and have the required training to help prevent these catastrophes, others do not. The Platta Law Firm always works tirelessly to hold at-fault parties accountable for their actions.
Who Can Be Held Accountable for Your Truck Accident?
After a truck accident on Long Island, determining liability is crucial when seeking compensation for injuries suffered.
Multiple parties can be at fault, each playing a distinct role in the operation, maintenance, or decision-making processes linked to the big rig’s operation.
Among the many entities who may be liable for a truck accident are:
- Truck Drivers: Possible liability due to negligence, fatigue, impairment, or violation of traffic laws.
- Truck Owners: Possible liability if it’s proven that inadequate vehicle maintenance contributed to the accident.
- Trucking Companies: Potential liability if they neglected to properly train their drivers or if they encouraged unsafe driving practices for quicker deliveries.
- Truck Manufacturers: Can be liable if a defect in the truck or any of its parts caused the accident.
- Cargo Loading Companies: Potential liability if improper loading or overloading contributed to the accident.
At The Platta Law Firm, we’ll painstakingly investigate the cause of your truck-related accident to determine who is to blame. Armed with this knowledge, we’ll be best equipped to seek compensation from all liable parties.
What’s the Deadline for Filing a Lawsuit After a Truck Accident on Long Island?
In New York, including Long Island, there is a three-year statute of limitations that applies to the vast majority of truck accident lawsuits. If the injured party fails to initiate a lawsuit within this time frame, they’ll most likely be unable to seek compensation for their injuries in a court of law.
Frequent Causes of Long Island Truck Accidents
Truck accidents on Long Island can occur for a variety of reasons. However, there are a handful of factors that tend to contribute to collisions more frequently than others:
- Driver Fatigue: Long hours on the road without adequate rest can impair a driver’s reaction time and judgment.
- Distracted Driving: Activities such as texting, using the phone, eating, or adjusting controls can divert a driver’s attention from the road.
- Impaired Driving: Driving under the influence of alcohol, drugs, or medication increases the risk of accidents on Long Island roadways.
- Inadequate Training or Experience: Inexperienced or poorly trained drivers might not handle challenging road conditions or situations effectively.
- Equipment Malfunction: Failure of crucial truck components like brakes or tires, often due to inadequate maintenance or manufacturing defects, can lead to disastrous consequences.
- Improper Loading: Unbalanced, overloaded, or unsecured cargo can cause trucks to tip over or hinder their maneuverability.
- Adverse Weather Conditions: Rain, snow, ice, or fog can reduce visibility and road traction, increasing the risk of Long Island truck accidents.
- Speeding and Reckless Driving: Driving at high speeds or not adhering to traffic rules can lead to loss of control and collisions.
You can’t always rely on truck drivers and trucking companies to follow the steps necessary to minimize accidents on Long Island roads. However, you can depend on a Long Island truck accident lawyer from The Platta Law Firm to protect your rights when you’ve suffered injuries caused by a big rig crash.
Types of Injuries Often Caused by Collisions with Trucks
Given their magnitude and force, truck accidents can result in a wide variety of injuries. Victims might suffer from minor abrasions and contusions, but in more severe collisions they can experience serious injuries, including:
- Amputated limbs
- Collapsed lungs
- Crushed organs
- Fractured bones
- Head injury, including concussion
- Spinal cord damage
- Traumatic brain injury
- Wrongful death
Emotional trauma is also a consequence of being involved in a truck accident. Some victims develop severe anxiety and depression and even post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). When experiencing any of these life-altering injuries, it’s vital to speak with an experienced truck accident lawyer. At The Platta Law Firm, we can help you better understand your legal rights and secure rightful compensation for the injuries you’ve endured.
Damages Available to Long Island Truck Crash Victims
Victims of truck accidents are entitled to various forms of reparation to cover their losses. If someone else caused your truck accident, we’ll seek to cover all the damages to which you’re entitled, including:
- Medical Expenses: Costs for immediate medical care, hospitalization, surgeries, and future medical treatments.
- Lost Wages: Compensation for the income lost while unable to work due to injuries.
- Loss of Earning Capacity: Covers the reduction in future earnings due to accident-induced injuries.
- Property Damage: Reimbursement for the repair or replacement of damaged personal property, primarily the victim’s vehicle.
- Pain and Suffering: Compensation for physical discomfort and emotional distress experienced as a result of the Long Island truck accident.
- Loss of Consortium: Compensation for the negative impact that accident-related injuries have on family relationships.
- Wrongful Death: In the tragic event of a fatality, compensation for funeral expenses, loss of financial support, and emotional distress can be sought by the victim’s family.
Don’t agree to a lowball offer that will fail to cover all your expenses. Our personal injury attorneys will use their skills, knowledge, and resources to help you secure the maximum cash award you need to recover.
What is the Cost to Hire a Truck Accident Lawyer?
At The Platta Law Firm, all our talented attorneys work on a contingency basis. This means you will have no out-of-pocket or upfront cost to hire us.
Our law firm covers litigation costs and assumes the risks associated with your Long Island truck accident claim. Only after your case is won do we receive a percentage of your cash award.
This helps ensure you get the legal expertise you need without having to worry about the costs involved.
Helpful Medical Resources to Consider After a Long Island Truck Accident
After being injured in a truck accident, you’ll want to receive immediate medical attention. If your injuries are moderate to serious, here are some local hospital Emergency Rooms on Long Island to consider:
- Huntington Hospital
- Mather Hospital in Port Jefferson
- North Shore University Hospital in Manhasset
- St. Francis Hospital & Heart Center in Roslyn
- NYU-Langone Long Island Hospital in Mineola
Having your injuries cared for by a competent medical facility will help put you on the road to recovery. Let one of our Long Island truck accident lawyers be a part of your recovery team by helping you with the complex legal issues.
Call Now to Speak with a Long Island Truck Accident Lawyer
If you were injured in a truck accident anywhere on Long Island, help is just one simple phone call away. Contact the Platta Law firm to schedule a free consultation with a compassionate and experienced Long Island truck accident lawyer who will support you every step of the way. Call us today at 212-514-5100. We’re here 24/7 to take your call and answer any questions you have about your Long Island truck accident.
Long Island Neighborhoods We Serve
Rest of Long Island With More Than 10,000 Residents
Babylon, Baldwin, Bay Shore, Bethpage, Commack, Dix Hills, East Rockaway, Elwood, Floral Park, Freeport, Garden City, Hempstead Village, Hicksville, Huntington, Kings Park, Lake Grove, Levittown, Lindenhurst, Lynbrook, Massapequa, Massapequa Park, Merrick, Mineola, Oceanside, Riverhead, Rockville Centre, Patchogue, Uniondale, Valley Stream, Wantagh, Westbury, and West Islip.