Long Island Slip and Fall Accident Lawyer
Let a Long Island slip and fall accident lawyer from The Platta Law Firm be your trusted partner in the aftermath of a slip and fall accident. Accidents can happen in an instant, but the consequences can last a lifetime. If you or a loved one has suffered an injury due to a slip and fall incident, you don’t have to face it alone.
By working with a Long Island slip and fall accident lawyer from our team, your rights will be protected and you’ll receive the compensation you deserve. With our proven track record of successful case outcomes, we’ll help you get back on your feet both physically and financially.
Whether you have suffered injuries in the workplace, on a private property, or in a public space, we’re here to help. Call The Platta Law Firm at 212-514-5100 for a no-cost consultation about your slip and fall accident and begin rebuilding your life today.
Long Island Slip and Fall Accident Lawyers Know the Facts
We stay on top of the statistics related to slip and fall accidents. For example, we recognize that falls represent one of the top three leading causes of preventable deaths. Furthermore, emergency room visits are dominated by non-fatal fall-related injuries. In 2020, more than 6.8 million people were treated in emergency rooms for slip and fall incidents.
A report by the Center for Disease Control (CDC) revealed that older adults are particularly at risk. Falls are the leading cause of injury and death for persons 65 years or older. Even so, all ages and genders are susceptible to being hurt. While women are more likely to be in slip and fall accidents overall, men are more likely to die from these occurrences.
Finally, statistics show that workers miss an average of more than 30 work days due to slip and fall injuries. The Platta Law Firm recognizes the devastating financial impact this has on most people. Whether you’re injured at work or elsewhere, we’ll fight to get you the maximum compensation you’re entitled to. Our top priority is making sure justice is served.
Where do Slip and Fall Accidents Occur?
Long Island slip and fall accidents occur in a wide range of locations. Some of these destinations are public venues, some are at the workplace, some are structures in the process of being built, and some are personal homes and dwellings.
Factors such as spills, wet floors, debris, uneven flooring, and poorly maintained walkways and common areas contribute to the potential for injury.
Unsecured equipment and bad weather can also pose a threat if safety measures are not taken. These are some common areas where slip and fall accidents offer occur:
- Construction sites
- Office buildings
- Sidewalks and walkways
- Shopping malls
- Department stores
- Hotels and resorts
- Hospitals and healthcare facilities
- Parks and recreational areas
- Private residences
While these places are common settings for slip and fall accidents, such events can happen anywhere. Property owners and businesses have a duty to maintain their premises in a safe condition, and they may be liable for injuries caused by negligence or inadequate maintenance. Consulting with a slip and fall accident lawyer can help you determine whether you have a valid claim for compensation.
Preventing Slip and Fall Incidents
Regardless of the environment, there are safety precautions that should be followed to help protect you from a slip and fall accident. In any type of workplace, the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) outlines a number of steps that can improve the safety of the work environment. Some of these measures include:
- Adequate lighting
- Slip-resistant surfaces in high-risk areas
- Effective drainage, ventilation, and other methods to keep surfaces dry
- Marking the edges of steps or elevation changes
- Frequent cleaning of the workplace
- Keeping walkways free of clutter
- Noticing and marking slip or trip hazards
Healthcare facilities should follow these provisions to protect older adults in their care:
- Arrange or remove furniture so there is plenty of room for walking
- Put essential items where they are easy to reach
- Add grab bars inside and outside of the bathtub or shower and next to the toilet
- Put railings on both sides of the stairs; make sure stairs and hallways have good lighting
- Make sure outdoor areas are well lit and walkways are smooth
Unfortunately, those who oversee the safety of private and public venues don’t always implement these protections. Dangerous slip and fall hazards continue to impact innocent victims. Fortunately, the award-winning attorneys at The Platta Law Firm are standing by to support you in the event of a slip and fall mishap. We’ll hold the responsible parties accountable for failing to create a safe environment.
Common Types of Injuries
The type and severity of slip and fall injuries depends on a variety of factors including the circumstances of the fall and the surface involved. Slip and fall accidents can result in a wide range of injuries, and our attorneys have access to a broad network of medical professionals who can provide valuable insight and testimony to strengthen your case. Here are some of the injuries often caused by slip and fall accidents:
- Fractures: Broken bones can occur in various parts of the body, including the hand, wrist, arm, ankle, leg, and torso (ribs).
- Head Injuries: Falls can result in head injuries including concussions and traumatic brain injuries (TBIs).
- Back and Spinal Cord Injuries: Falling often leads to back injuries that can include severe damage to the spinal cord.
- Neck Injuries: These can range from mild whiplash to more severe injuries like cervical fractures.
- Hip Injuries: Hip fractures requiring surgery are especially common among older individuals.
- Internal Injuries: Blunt force trauma from a fall can cause internal injuries such as organ damage and internal bleeding.
- Sprains and Strains: These injuries often affect ligaments and muscles and can range from mild to severe.
- Facial Injuries: Falling can result in facial fractures, dental injuries, and soft tissue damage.
- Cuts and Bruises: Sharp, hard, or rough surfaces can cause cuts, scrapes, and bruises.
Recovery from these injuries may require medical treatment, rehabilitation, and in some cases long-term care. Sometimes the full extent of an injury doesn’t appear until sometime after the accident. It will be important for you to have a complete medical assessment after your accident to determine the scope of your injuries.
Most importantly, you’ll need one of our Long Island slip and fall accident lawyers to advocate on your behalf so that you receive full compensation for your trauma. We will pursue the highest award possible to cover your medical expenses, pain and suffering, lost wages, and any other damages that will affect you now and in the future.
What to do After You’ve Been Injured
After a slip and fall accident, there are critical steps you can take to help safeguard your well-being and your legal rights. Your top priority after you’ve been in a slip and fall accident will be getting medical care. Be sure to seek a complete medical evaluation and get treatment as soon as possible.
Document the scene by taking photos and video, including capturing any hazards or conditions that contributed to the accident.
If there were witnesses to the accident, collect their names and contact information. You’ll also want to report the incident by informing the property owner, manager, or an employee about your accident. Ask them to create a written report and request a copy for your records. Take your own notes about what happened while the details are fresh in your mind. Notify your insurance company about the occurrence. However, be cautious when speaking with insurance adjusters and avoid admitting fault or discussing the incident in detail without legal guidance.
Finally, consult with one of our slip and fall accident lawyers as soon as you can. We’ll use our expertise to conduct a thorough investigation of your case. The earlier you begin the process, the better chance we have of securing the greatest compensation for your injuries and other related expenses.
The Benefits of Using a Long Island Slip and Fall Accident Lawyer
Our Long Island slip and fall accident attorneys can provide you with several advantages. First and foremost, our extensive experience with slip and fall cases allows us to develop highly effective strategies for your unique situation. Additional benefits include:
- Knowledge of Regulations: We are knowledgeable about local, state, and federal laws and regulations that apply to your case. We can identify potential violations and use them to strengthen your claim.
- Insurance Company Negotiation: We can handle communications with insurance companies, ensuring that you do not settle for less than your case is worth.
- Timely Filing: Long Island slip and fall cases are subject to statutes of limitations, which set a deadline for filing a lawsuit. Our lawyers can make sure your case is filed on time, preserving your right to seek compensation.
- Litigation Support: If the responsible parties are unwilling to come to a fair settlement through negotiation, we are prepared to take your case to court and fight passionately for the award you deserve.
Local Resources on Long Island
While most slip and fall accidents occur on private and commercial premises, they can happen anywhere. Here are a few popular Long Island landmarks and attractions where these types of incidents take place.
- Cradle of Aviation Museum
- Sagamore Hill National Historic Site
- Old Westbury Gardens
- Long Island Aquarium
- Long Island Game Farm Wildlife Park & Children’s Zoo
What Makes The Platta Law Firm Stand Out?
Beyond the expertise we bring to your case, we consider ourselves to be your deeply committed allies. Dealing with legal matters and insurance companies can be extremely stressful, and we want you to focus on your recovery. We’re here to take that stress off your plate so you can concentrate on your health and financial well-being.
We also won’t take a cookie-cutter approach to defending your rights. We’ll provide you with personalized legal advice and guidance that is tailored to your individual circumstances.
Finally, we work on a contingency fee arrangement, which means you don’t pay legal fees unless we win your case. We emphasize getting the maximizing compensation for you, and we’ll let you know if the responsible parties are trying to make you accept a lowball offer. The Platta Law Firm understands the physical, emotional, and financial toll that slip and fall accidents can take on victims and their families. Let us be your best advocate, and call us at 212-512-5000 to speak with an experienced Long Island slip and fall accident lawyer today.
Long Island Neighborhoods We Serve
Rest of Long Island With More Than 10,000 Residents
Babylon, Baldwin, Bay Shore, Bethpage, Commack, Dix Hills, East Rockaway, Elwood, Floral Park, Freeport, Garden City, Hempstead Village, Hicksville, Huntington, Kings Park, Lake Grove, Levittown, Lindenhurst, Lynbrook, Massapequa, Massapequa Park, Merrick, Mineola, Oceanside, Riverhead, Rockville Centre, Patchogue, Uniondale, Valley Stream, Wantagh, Westbury, and West Islip.