Rockland County Truck Accident Lawyer
A Rockland County truck accident lawyer from The Platta Law Firm will be your best advocate after you’ve suffered the trauma of a collision. Accidents involving commercial vehicles can be especially disastrous because of their massive size. A legal professional who understands the complexities of supporting your recovery is a must. With our proven track record of securing the best results for our clients, a Rockland County truck accident lawyer from our team will make all the difference. Take a positive step toward getting back on track after your truck accident by calling us today at 212-514-5100. We are standing by to offer you a free consultation about your case.
A Rockland County Truck Accident Lawyer Knows the Dangers of Commercial Vehicles
Our team at The Platta Law Firm is familiar with the many hazards of sharing the road with commercial trucks. For example, while a Code of Federal Regulations places restrictions on truck drivers who are fatigued or ill, we know that one of the main causes of truck accidents is still driver fatigue. Drivers often ignore required rest breaks to meet delivery deadlines. The result is compromised judgment and slower reaction times that cause devastating crashes.
Oversized vehicles also need much more room to change lanes, pass, turn, and back up. Tractors, 18-wheelers, and buses have significantly bigger blind spots, and sometimes are unable to see cars, motorcycles, and pedestrians. These vehicles also take much longer to stop. The DMV reports that big trucks and other large forms of road transportation can take up to 430 feet to come to a halt. Other key factors that contribute to a risky driving environment include:
- Distracted drivers
- Drivers who are intoxicated
- Poorly maintained vehicles
- Overloaded or incorrectly loaded cargo
- Inadequately trained drivers
- Vehicles with insufficient safety equipment
Obviously, truck accidents in Rockland County are caused by many factors. Because our attorneys are tuned-in to these multiple causes, they are able to conduct focused investigations to accurately determine fault. You can depend on The Platta Law Firm to protect your rights when you’ve suffered the destructive consequences of a large vehicle collision.
Types of Accidents Involving Trucks
Our attorneys not only have in-depth knowledge regarding the causes of truck accidents, but they are also aware of the different types of accidents involving commercial transportation.
The experienced lawyers from our firm have the ability to skillfully navigate the legal implications of each of these incidents.
Here are some of the many kinds of trucking accidents that occur:
- Jackknife Accidents: These happen when a truck’s trailer swings out to one side, almost doubling up with the cab. This can occur during slippery road conditions, sudden braking, or oversteering.
- Rollovers: High-sided vehicles can tip over when the driver turns too quickly or runs into bad road conditions.
- Rear-End Collisions: Big vehicles can plow into smaller vehicles from behind, especially in heavy traffic or when the truck’s driver doesn’t brake in time.
- Tire Blowouts: Sudden tire blowouts can cause a truck driver to lose control.
- Underride Collisions: This type of accident happens when a smaller vehicle smashes into the rear or side of a large commercial vehicle and ends up partially or completely wedged underneath.
- T-bone or Side-Impact Collisions: This is when a commercial vehicle collides with another vehicle at a perpendicular angle, often at intersections.
Any of these accidents can lead to substantial property damage, severe injuries, and even fatalities. In fact, the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) reports that fatal crashes involving large trucks and buses have increased dramatically in recent years. When working with The Platta Law Firm, know that we will work tirelessly to hold all liable parties accountable for their actions.
Tips for Safely Sharing Rockland County Roadways with Commercial Vehicles
The New York City Police Department has reported hundreds of accidents involving commercial trucks, buses, and firetrucks. However, there are some defensive driving strategies that can help improve your chances of avoiding such an event. For starters, keep a safe following distance between your vehicle and the truck in front of you. This gives you more time to react if the truck operator is driving erratically. Also, stay out of the big rig’s blind spots. If you can’t see the driver in their side mirrors, they probably can’t see you, either.
When lane changing in front of a truck in Rockland County, try to leave plenty of space and don’t slow down abruptly. Trucks and buses take longer to stop, and tight lane changes can put you in danger. Take extra care at intersections, as side-impact accidents are common. Make sure the truck driver sees you before proceeding. Commercial vehicles should use their turn signals well in advance of making a turn or changing lanes. Pay attention to these signals and give them space to maneuver.
Finally, if you see a commercial vehicle being driven unsafely or recklessly in Rockland County, report it to the appropriate authorities. In spite of your cautious driving, accidents can still occur — especially when commercial drivers don’t follow the same careful practices. The Platta Law firm is here to defend you when that happens.
Injuries Caused by Truck Collisions
Injuries caused by collisions with oversized vehicles can range from minor to extremely severe. The extent of injuries resulting from such accidents is influenced by many factors such as driver behavior, road conditions, weather, and speed. Injuries caused by big rig crashes can include:
- Crushed Organs: The impact of a crash can cause damage to body organs, such as the liver, kidneys, spleen, and lungs. These injuries can lead to internal bleeding and the need for surgery.
- Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI): In a collision, your head can strike the steering wheel, dashboard, side window, or other hard surface, resulting in a TBI.
- Fractured Bones: Arms, legs, ribs, knees, and almost any other bone in the body is vulnerable to breaks and fractures in accidents with commercial vehicles.
- Spine Injuries: The force of impact in a truck collision can cause damage to the spinal cord, leading to sprains, ruptured discs, and even paralysis.
- Burns and Smoke Inhalation: Vehicles involved in truck crashes often catch fire, exposing you to hot surfaces, flames, and toxic smoke.
- Cuts, Abrasions, and Amputations: Broken glass and metal in a crash can cause cuts and scrapes. In more catastrophic circumstances, collisions can lead to traumatic amputations, in which a limb is severed during the accident.
Our Rockland County truck accident lawyers are skilled at assessing the full extent of your damages. They will ensure that you are fairly compensated for your losses, including medical bills, rehabilitation costs, lost earning capacity, and emotional suffering.
Seeking Medical Care After a Rockland County Truck Accident
One of the most critical steps to take after being in a collision with a large truck is taking care of your medical needs.
Even if your injuries don’t seem serious, it’s best to get a full evaluation from a medical professional. Having your injuries assessed and treated by a skilled medical facility will support your healing.
One of these healthcare facilities in Rockland County may prove very helpful to your recovery:
- Helen Hayes Hospital
51-55 Route 9W
West Haverstraw, NY 10993
- Rockland Urgent Care
89 S. Rt. 9W, West Haverstraw, NY 10993
- Good Samaritan Hospital
255 Lafayette Ave., Suffern, NY 10901
- Nyack Hospital
86 Lake St., Spring Valley, NY 10901
Additionally, the care you receive will be documented by our attorneys to support your case. The Platta Law Firm will be part of your recovery team as we advocate to secure the financial resources you’ll need to get back on your feet.
How Our Rockland County Truck Accident Attorneys Will Help
Our in-depth experience with large vehicle collisions in Rockland County allows us to provide you with outstanding legal guidance tailored to your specific needs. Being familiar with the local laws and regulations gives us a great advantage. We have the know-how needed to negotiate for maximum compensation with insurance companies and other parties who may try to minimize your payment. Additionally, we will promise you the following:
- Comprehensive Investigating: We’ll gather accident reports, witness statements, and expert testimony to determine who was at fault, so we can build a strong case on your behalf.
- Consultations with Experts: Your Rockland County truck accident lawyer will consult with medical experts, accident reconstruction specialists, and other professionals to strengthen your case.
- Timely and Accurate Filing of Claims: Rockland County personal injury cases are subject to deadlines for filing claims. Your lawyer will make sure that you meet these deadlines to protect your right to seek compensation. Your attorney will also handle the complex process of filing insurance claims and managing all communication with insurance companies.
- Fierce Litigation: If negotiations with insurance companies do not result in a fair settlement, we’ll represent you in court. We’ll present your case, argue passionately on your behalf, and seek to secure the best outcome possible.
- Contingency Fee: We work on a contingency fee arrangement — we only get paid when you receive compensation. This arrangement allows you to get legal assistance without any upfront costs.
- Support and Guidance: We know that you’re under a tremendous amount of stress. We are dedicated to providing you with emotional support and compassionate guidance throughout the legal process. We want you to make the most informed decisions during this challenging time.
Knowing that an experienced advocate is working on your behalf will provide peace of mind during a difficult situation. Teaming up with The Platta Law Firm gives you the best chance for an easier legal process, a better financial result, and a full recovery. Get your life back on track. Call 212-514-5100 today to speak with a dedicated Rockland County truck accident lawyer about your case.