Rockland County Slip and Fall Accident Attorney
You’ll need a Rockland County slip and fall accident attorney on your side when dealing with the aftermath of this type of accident. These incidents can result in serious injuries, pain and suffering, and devastating financial consequences.
If you have experienced a slip, trip, and fall accident, it’s critical to seek legal representation to secure the compensation you deserve.
Reach out to a Rockland County slip and fall accident attorney today. At The Platta Law Firm, we are ready to help you navigate the complicated and often confusing legal landscape of these accidents.
Call 212-514-5100, and let us begin supporting you with a free consultation about your case.
A Rockland County Slip and Fall Accident Lawyer Knows the Statistics
Staying on top of slip and fall statistics is one of the many ways The Platta Law Firm provides outstanding support to accident victims. We know that falls are one of the top three causes of preventable deaths. Additionally, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics reports that slip, trip, and fall incidents are a leading cause of workplace injuries, accounting for millions of hospital emergency room visits in the U.S. each year.
The National Floor Safety Institute (NFSI) reported that falls occur in virtually all manufacturing and service sectors. Furthermore, the NFSI report revealed that 22% of slip and fall incidents result in over 30 days of missed work. And, while women are more likely to be in slip and fall accidents, men are more likely to die from these events.
A report by the Center for Disease Control (CDC) revealed that older adults are particularly vulnerable. Falls are the leading cause of injury and death for persons 65 years or older, and these falls aren’t just happening at home. About 1.3 million residents in nursing facilities fall each year.
The Platta Law Firm recognizes that slip, trip, and fall accidents can be physically, emotionally, and financially destructive. Whether you’re injured at work or elsewhere, we’ll fight to get you the maximum compensation for your claim. Our top priority is making sure justice is served.
Slip and Fall Accidents Can Happen Anywhere in Rockland County
Slip and fall accidents can happen to anyone, anywhere, at any time. These incidents occur in both public and private locations.
Wet floors, uneven surfaces, bad lighting, poorly maintained walkways, and other hazardous conditions are often the cause of such accidents.
Here are some common areas where slip and fall accidents typically happen in Rockland County:
- Construction sites
- Office buildings
- Hospitals and healthcare facilities
- Sidewalks and walkways
- Shopping malls
- Department stores
- Hotels and resorts
- Parks and recreational areas
- Private residences
Property owners and businesses are obligated to keep their locations safe. If they don’t, they can be responsible for injuries caused by negligence or inadequate maintenance. When liability is in question, consult with a Rockland County slip and fall accident lawyer to help you determine whether you have a valid claim for compensation.
Typical Injuries Caused by Slip and Fall Mishaps
Slip, trip, and fall accidents can result in a wide range of injuries, from minor bruises to severe and life-altering conditions. The type and severity of injuries depends on the circumstances of the accident, the environment, and your age and health. Here are some typical injuries caused by slip and fall accidents:
- Fractures and Broken Bones: Falls often lead to broken bones, such as fractures of the wrist, arm, hip, leg, and ankle. Fractures may require surgery and extended rehabilitation.
- Head Injuries: Head injuries, including concussions and traumatic brain injuries, can happen if your head hits a hard surface during the fall. These types of injuries can cause long-term negative effects on memory and other cognitive functions.
- Back and Spinal Cord Injuries: Injuries to the back or spinal cord can cause herniated discs or even paralysis. Spinal cord injuries are often extremely serious.
- Cuts and Bruises: Falling onto sharp objects can cause cuts and lacerations, possibly leading to infection. Deep bruises can be extremely painful and can take a long time to heal.
- Sprains and Strains: Sprained ankles, wrists, or knees are common in Rockland County slip and fall accidents. Ligaments and tendons can be stretched or torn, causing pain and swelling.
- Internal Injuries: Falls can cause damage to organs like the liver, spleen, or kidneys. These injuries may not be immediately obvious and can be life-threatening if left untreated.
- Death: In the most severe cases, slip and fall accidents can be fatal.
Both minor and intense injuries require medical attention. Treating your injuries can lead to substantial costs for immediate and ongoing treatment. While seeking prompt medical care will be your first priority after your accident, your next critical step will be obtaining legal assistance. A skilled personal injury lawyer will help you pursue monetary support to cover the medical expenses and lost wages caused by your accident.
Helpful Resources for Rockland County Slip and Fall Victims
There are a number of medical resources in the Rockland County area you may find helpful after your accident. Even if your injuries seem minimal, it’s best to get a full medical evaluation from a healthcare professional.
- Good Samaritan Hospital
255 Lafayette Ave., Suffern, NY 10901
- Nyack Hospital
86 Lake St., Spring Valley, NY 10901
- Helen Hayes Hospital
51-55 Route 9W
West Haverstraw, NY 10993
- Rockland Urgent Care
89 S. Rt. 9W, West Haverstraw, NY 10993
The medical care you receive will be an important element in building a strong case against the parties responsible for your slip and fall. The Platta Law Firm is committed to helping you obtain the necessary financial resources to support your full recovery.
Can These Accidents Be Prevented?
Preventing slip and fall accidents requires a combination of maintaining a safe environment, promoting awareness, and taking proactive steps to address potential hazards. In fact, the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) outlines a number of steps that can improve the safety of work and other environments. Some of these measures include:
- Keeping walkways free of debris
- Proper drainage and ventilation
- Sufficient lighting
- Secure handrails
- Slip-resistant surfaces in high-risk areas
- Marking the edges of steps or elevation changes
- Regular cleaning of the workplace
- Marking slip or trip hazards
Additionally, nursing facilities and hospitals should take special precautions to protect older adults in their care. They should:
- Arrange furniture so there is plenty of room to safely move about
- Put essential items within easy reach
- Add grab bars inside and outside of the bathtub or shower and next to the toilet
- Put railings on both sides of the stairs
- Make sure stairs, hallways, and outdoor areas are well lit
- Ensure that walkways and other thoroughfares are smooth and free of clutter
Businesses, homeowners, and individuals can all play a role in reducing the risk of slip and fall accidents. Unfortunately, treacherous hazards continue to impact innocent victims. The Platta Law Firm is prepared to advocate on your behalf in the event of a slip, trip, and fall mishap. We will hold the responsible parties accountable for failing to create a safe environment for you and/or your loved ones.
How a Rockland County Slip and Fall Accident Attorney Can Help You
Understanding local slip and fall laws and regulations is challenging. But facing the repercussions of your accident is something you don’t have to do alone. Working with our team will allow you to benefit from our expertise.
Our broad experience with slip and fall cases means we can develop effective strategies tailored to your unique situation. Here are some of the ways we can help:
- Determining Liability: One of the most critical parts of a slip and fall case is establishing liability. We will investigate the circumstances surrounding your accident, identify liable parties, and help you build a case against them.
- Gathering Evidence: Proving fault in a slip and fall case requires a substantial amount of evidence. We will collect evidence such as security camera footage, witness statements, accident reports, and medical records to support your claim.
- Negotiating with Insurance Companies: Insurance companies may attempt to settle quickly and for an amount that is far less than what you deserve. We will negotiate with insurance companies to secure maximum compensation, relieving you of the stress and hassle of dealing with insurers.
- Meeting Critical Deadlines: Rockland County slip and fall cases are subject to deadlines for filing lawsuit. Our lawyers can make sure all the relevant case documents are filed on time.
What Makes The Platta Law Firm Your Best Advocate?
We go beyond just providing you with legal guidance. We work to become your trusted, compassionate ally at a time when your stress and suffering can feel overwhelming. Because our team works on a contingency fee arrangement, you don’t have to pay upfront legal fees. Instead, we won’t collect payment until we’ve successfully secured the maximum compensation for you.
Our lawyers are prepared to take your case all the way to court if needed. We have access to a network of experts who can provide professional opinions and testify in court to strengthen your case.
A slip and fall accident can have far-reaching ramifications for your physical, emotional, and financial well-being. An experienced attorney can make a significant difference in your case. Don’t let the strain and confusion of handling your case on your own add to your trauma. Seek professional legal representation from a Rockland County slip and fall accident attorney to assist you on the road to recovery. Contact The Platta Law Firm today to discuss your case.