Close this search box.
Available 24 Hours
(212) 514 - 5100
CALL US 24/7
Home » Car Accidents » Hit and Run Lawyer

Hit and Run Lawyer

Home » Car Accidents » Hit and Run Lawyer
Hit and run lawyer in new york city

A New York City Hit and Run lawyer will be able to help in these scary situations. This specific type of car accident can be a scary and unsettling experience.  It is important to know what steps to take after your accident to make sure that your rights and health are both protected. The Platta Law Firm will be there by your side in case you need a strong team in your corner.

Hit and Run Accidents in NYC and the Law

In New York City, lawyers must collect all data from the scene of the accident and any footage necessary. The first thing that you must do after an accident is call the police.  When you call the police, explain that you were in a hit and run accident.  The police will likely ask if you were able to record the license plate.  Take down the license plate safely if you are able to.  If you are not, then try your best to get a description of the vehicle. If you are unable to do either of these things, do not panic.  You must still report the accident to the police right away.  After you report to the police, your medical care will still be paid by your no-fault insurance.

What Happens After I Hire a Hit and Run Lawyer

When you hire your hit and run lawyer, they should start the investigation right away. This means that they should hire an investigator. The investigator will check the area for cameras. This should help identify who caused the accident. In addition, the investigator should look for witnesses by going to the businesses in the area. People are more likely to be there day after day when they go to work in the area. If the investigator does find a witness, it is important to get that statement right away These statements can be the difference between winning and losing your case. No-fault insurance will pay for medical expenses, the majority of your lost wages, and travel to and from your doctors, among other things.

It is very important to consult a New York car accident attorney familiar with hit and run accident immediately so that they can get your no-fault application in before the deadline, which is often merely 30 days after the accident.

UM Insurance

Uninsured Motorist Coverage

In addition to being familiar with no-fault, your attorney should be familiar with uninsured motorist coverage, or “UM” insurance.

Uninsured motorist coverage is coverage that you already have on your New York motor vehicle insurance. Existing specifically for situations like this, UM insurance covers hit and run or if you are with somebody without insurance at all.

Once again, you must notify this portion of your insurance company as soon as possible after the accident. It is not enough to just notify the no-fault portion of your insurance.  This can be very confusing, after all, your UM insurance carrier and your no-fault carrier are the same company.  However, if your attorney does not know how to make sure each department is notified, you may lose out on important rights.  

Under UM coverage, you can qualify for compensation above basic no-fault.  This means that you can recover for pain and suffering as well as economic damages not covered by no-fault.  The path to recovery in a UM insurance case is different that normal.  In a UM case, the case does not go to court.  If the case does not resolve, it goes to arbitration. An arbitration is somewhat similar to a bench trial, when only the judge or arbitrator decides the case, rather than the jury.

The advantage of this process is that it is usually much quicker than the court process. In addition, while the jury system is very valued, it can help to have someone with knowledge of the law to decide the case. By taking the case to arbitration, it is the quickest way possible to resolve your case if you have UM coverage.

What is MVAIC?

What if you don’t have no-fault or UM insurance?  Then you must proceed to litigate your case through the Motor Vehicle Accident Indemnification Company or “MVAIC.”  MVAIC is to help people who do not have coverage of their own.  In order to be eligible you must report the accident to the police within 24 hours of the accident.  After reporting to the police you must also report it to MVAIC.  Once again, the time you have to report varies and you should have a lawyer navigate you through this process. Whether you have UM or MVAIC, the most important thing to do is notify the police, get treatment for your injuries and soon as possible, and contact a lawyer familiar with the intricacies of the law as soon as possible.